An old recording with cheap equipment...

Dr.Guitar

This is mostly a "hello" post. I won't bore you with minute details about me except that I have been interested in recording since I was in my single digits. In the late 1970s, I started recording live concerts for money. Back then, my equipment was rudimentary and cheap (think Radio Shack microphones and cassette deck). Around 1982, I was doing some recording in the Philly area and was contracted to record Adagio for Strings (Samuel Barber) live at a church in downtown Philly. I made this recording with the infamous Radio Shack condenser mics and a Tascam cassette deck with no noise reduction, instead recording with the cassette running at 2x speed. The reason I mention this is because I just ran into this old recording on my computer and it reminded me that you can get a decent recording (even after compressing to MP3, twice!) with pretty lousy equipment if you know how to use it properly. What stuck with me about this live recording is the dynamic range and the presence of the music, not something you would expect from a cassette recorder. Anyway, blah blah blah, I own dozens of mics and self built PA systems (including my own design line arrays) and a half dozen AD/DA computer interfaces. I just love recording!

Back