An Engineer's Most Important Job

EleKtriKaz

Home (w)Rec'r
I thought it might be fun to see what everyone thinks a recording engineer's biggest tasks are. I know that the more I do this, the more my conception about what is important in the recording process changes. I'll go first:

1. Making the artist feel comfortable
2. Mic placement
3. Gain-staging
4. Dealing with phase (related to mic placement, but definitely important enough to warrant its own place on the list)
5. Mic selection

What about everyone else?

I thought it might be fun ...

Yea, it's a blast, alright. :D Let's see ...

Logistics (where/how everyone is set up)
Setup / Teardown (sometimes cleanup)
Headphone mixes, routing
Routing
Playback / Talkback
Maintainance of equipment (cleaning, etc.)
Trouble-shooting (equipment failure, bad cords, etc.)
Media/storage
Edits / Punch-ins
(Sometimes) food / lunch, coffee / refreshments, etc.
(Sometimes) Scheduling / Booking / Cancelations
Providing Entertainment (Drugs, Hookers).
Just kidding on the last one.

TravisinFlorida said:
Maybe he means home recording engineer?

I dunno, if I had a routine, then I wouldn't be doing this for a living. I play everyday by ear. :D

Tons of inventory, equipment checking, if I don't have some piece of equipment then figuring out how to get it, running things long enough to heat them up, sound check, etc.

That just depends on what studio and what protocols they use.

The cocaine, hookers, blow up dolls, strippers, video games, lubricants, candles, posters of hot girls, or other stupid and pointless items....that's all the producers territory. :D

What kind of engineer?

Structural engineer? To insure that the building doesn't fall down.

Mechanical engineer? To insure that the machine works.

Recording engineer? To take variations in air pressure and store them in a manner conducive with the client's esthetic.

Mix engineer? To take a collection of stored sounds and balance them in a manner conducive with the client's esthetic.

Railroad engineer? To get the last train out of Clarksville...

EleKtriKaz said:
I thought it might be fun to see what everyone thinks a recording engineer's biggest tasks are.
If by "recording engineer" you indeed mean the guy who does the tracking, his #1 job is to make the mixing engineer's job as easy as possible.

If by "recording engineer" you mean someone who has built a modest project studio in their house and uses it as much as as an avocation as vocation (a "'home recording' engineer"), then their number one task is to learn both the science and the art of audio engineering to a level that their gear deserves.

G.

I meant a professional recording engineer, i.e. someone who is paid to engineer the tracking and overdubbing portion of a recording project.

Guess it wasn't that fun after all.

I think just wanted to show off :)

I'd say:
1) Strategy for recording
-can this drummer play to a scratch track, can this guitar player play with
tempo changes (if not, I'll throw the guitar player in the iso booth and deal
bleeds, hell they never hear the bleed through)

2) Mic selection/ placement - We all know each mics has its place in different situations

And that's mostly it, after that it's down hill for the recording process.

"Best possible" is at best relative.

The idea is to first try to understand what the band [artist] is about, where the producer wants to take the project [or where the band wants to take the project should there not be a producer involved] and then do your level best to accomplish the artist's objective in a manner that reinforces the musical statment the artist is trying to convey.

My point is that there are several ways to look at any recording. Many inexperienced engineers try to manipulate the recording to fit with "the way they were taught to do things". From them you'll hear things like "you have to use an RE-20 on a kik drum" and other mechanical technique responses. From an experienced engineer their job is to make lemonade out of lemons.

An experienced engineer will have not only an understanding of how to operate the equipment but a relative understanding of how the equipment works, how sound works, how microphones work and compressors, equalizers and converters, noise gates and duckers, etc., etc., etc.... then use combinations of this equipment and their accumulated theory to create solutions that will be complimentary to the artist's goals and objectives.

It is both that difficult, and that easy.

There is not a day that goes by where I don't try something new. There is not a day that goes by where I don't learn something about a technique. There isn't an assistant I've ever had that hasn't shown me a technique they discovered on their own or copied from another engineeer... there isn't anything I have ever done in a studio in terms of using the equipment that is unique but nothing that I have ever done twice.

A recording studio is an instrument... and like any instrument you learn a little more about it everytime you pick it up... every time you sit behind it, and every time you hang out and play with other musicians. The more you practice, the luckier you get... the luckier you get, the more you too can enjoy the results [though chances are slim that you'll ever really be satisfied... FWIW it usually takes me somewhere between 5 and 7 years before I can start to hear an album on which I've worked as an album and not stress about things I did or didn't do in the creation of that album].

Peace.

Keeping calm when you play back an initial mix and you notice the guitarist adjusting their volume knob ready for the next take (how many times have you got to explain before a court accepts your plea of manslaughter based on diminished responsibility!)

LeeRosario said:
I dunno, if I had a routine, then I wouldn't be doing this for a living. I play everyday by ear. :D

Tons of inventory, equipment checking, if I don't have some piece of equipment then figuring out how to get it, running things long enough to heat them up, sound check, etc.

That just depends on what studio and what protocols they use.

The cocaine, hookers, blow up dolls, strippers, video games, lubricants, candles, posters of hot girls, or other stupid and pointless items....that's all the producers territory. :D

Lee,

How did you break into the industry?.. I'm 22, just like you and I'm very curious.. If you prefer, you can PM your answer.. I've been beating my head against the wall, figuratively speaking, trying to figure a way in.... Yet, it seems, you are in and in deep...

Thanks,
Joshua

It all depends on what your job is when you are hired. If there is going to be a producer, and you've never worked with them before, its a good idea to sit down with them for a beer before you hit the studio to discuss your role.

Sometimes producers like you to keep your mouth shut and just make it sound good, some like to tell you what to use, some expect you to make choices on gear and mics, others like you to run things while they just sit there and listen, and so on.

If you are just going to do the tracking and have someone else mix it, your job is to make it sound as good as possible for the mixing engineer. If you're going to mix it also, start thinking about what you want the final mix to sound like when you set up the mics.

Keep the session flowing smoothly and get all sounds recorded for playback at a later date. Ever see those Ban Roll-On commercials? "Never let 'em see you sweat". It's kinda like that.

peritus said:
Lee,

How did you break into the industry?.. I'm 22, just like you and I'm very curious.. If you prefer, you can PM your answer.. I've been beating my head against the wall, figuratively speaking, trying to figure a way in.... Yet, it seems, you are in and in deep...

Thanks,
Joshua

old thread, but I'll comment on this one....
it's luck. mixed with a little bit of determination. okay, maybe a lot of determination.
It also depends on where you live. NY and LA are going to have a lot of studios to work at and maybe even companies that are generous enough to hire interns...and usually unpaid interns. You have to be willing to do stuff for free, and this usually means cleaning, running errands, etc. Not working in the rooms. In smaller towns you may find a couple of really nice studios who's owner doesn't mind you tagging along, and a lot of times unpaid again. However, you'll probably have a better chance getting in the studio quicker. BUT there are also a lot of smaller studios who don't hire people ever. And a lot of this has to do with they are so small there is no need to have anyone else working for them. The digital revolution has helped this come to be.
If you're interested in sound the two best ways to get into the business is doing live sound or post production. Those two genres hire much more frequently than music studios do. And a lot of times they can be your in into the music studios too. Live sound is another one of those things where it's good to just know the people (bands, bar owners, FOH guys, etc.). Or you try and just introduce yourselves to these people. Post houses are a little more formal (which in the overall business world isn't saying much) when it comes to hiring but the jobs are a little more reliable.
Get a list of studios in your town (I think a recent EQ or Tape Op magazine had a list) and just visit, call, e-mail, etc. them all.

Don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. And if you can afford a school...either a recording or electrical engineering (although don't compare the two or the demand for either side by side) degree, couldn't hurt. Some people like to see the training, others will train you on their own. Just keep trying.
My two cents
-B

Mix Magazine publishes a yearly list of industry related items such as studios by state, engineers, mastering houses, and so on.

Hey... Thanks for your encouragement and information... The battle is not yet over..

Cheers!!!
Joshua :D

peritus said:
Lee,

Thanks,
Joshua

Sorry I didnt catch the question earlier...

It's a good question, kina tricky to answer. I wouldn't say I broke into, but sorta ended up in it. Kind of like that movie "Thank you for smoking"...

Where he says,

"Well I didn't really plan on this job, I just sorta figured it out, got really good at it and now this is what I do."

My orginal intent at 20 was to move out to california, start a band and do the typical "persue the dream" thing.

The real explosion didn't really happen until the last two years. Half way through fullsail I met up with Mike Busey (Gary busey's nephew) and started up a studio with him. He had alot of insiders information in the radio biz, since he used to have his own show on Real Rock 101.1 here in Orlando.

So I picked up more interest in the business plus learned a lot of the business side of it. How to talk to people, how to call a bluff, figuring out who's a bullshitter and who's for real. All very credible skills to have as an engineer.

After that, I had a relative who was a record executive in the latin music world, so he took me under his wing. I admit it wasn't my style of music at the time, but the experience did a 180 on me.

He gave me all these massive projects to work with. I was a wreck at first, cause latin music is very complex stuff to mix and wrap yourself around.

But he saw that I had a raw talent, so he stuck with me. He could of easily got a hold of any number of world class engineers, but he wanted me to have that experience. So about a year and a half later, after all the monster engineers I had the privlage of meeting, producers I enjoyed (sometimes didn't) working with and musicians that I've had beers and learned from...it puts me where I am today.

So like I said, I wasn't finding it, it just sorta happened to me. If I wasn't persistent and not afraid to fail, then I wouldn't be doing it today.

Thats my story.

I couldn't give you advice on how to get your foot in the door of a studio, but I can tell you about how to survive in the audio production as per my direct personal experience so far. You might like some of it, and you might not:

1) Choose your friends wisely. A smart man once told me, "if you hang out with retards, then you'll eventually be the same retard".

2) Set a high standard for yourself. If you are lucky enough to get into a high profile project, chances are the margin for error is very thin. So you have to be on top of your game at all times.

3) Learn to spot "dead ends" and "open doors". Working for some guy in his basement probably won't get you as far as working for people in legit places.

So if someone offers you a legit job that's close to what you wanna do, I suggest you take it. It might not be exactly what you want, but eventually it will lead to what you want. I would take a sound tech job at disney over a sketchy studio any day.

4) Openmindedness and flexibility. Studio managers love this one. There's nothing better than someone who can say yes to any project he is given. So think about it from thier point of view.

You don't have to like the project, but at least you have a job and brownie points.

5) Learn to be spiritual. Not religiously, but in your musical beleifs. This one seperates the "good" from the "greats". Any body can engineer a song and make it sound good, but there are musicians in this world that go *far* beyond that. Those are the challenging ones to work with, also the most exciting.

If you understand why music is the way it is, and why certain things are done and others aren't, then you can do amazing things behind a console.

6) Refuse to be anything but the best. Face it, this is the most competative and most frustrating industry to work in. Period. You have monsters out there that will steal your clientel if they can offer the better deal. It dosn't mean you should step on people, but you have to play smart.

So you have to be extremely focused and you have to be hard on yourself. It's almost like becoming a monk. You have to refuse all outside temptation, forget about having a life and become "a man of the console." (instead of a man of the cloth, get it?)

I think this is the one I don't like to discuss openly. But I'm the type of person that can hear a mix done by a monster and then tell myself, "wow, this is good, but I can do it better". A not that I could, but by telling myself that, I modivate myself to mimick excellent work. That's how I've taught myself everything I know how to do in a mixing session. I listen, I question and then I mimick. Eventually when I have thier technique down well enough, I try to find out ways to do it better.

7) Give yourself a break and take your time with everything you do. Sometimes you have to say, "FUCK IT!". Give yourself a week off from music. Relax the brain. There's nothing worse than a burnt out engineer. It pisses off the client, it pisses off the boss and it makes you look really bad.

Also, as Bob Katz once told me, "if it takes 6 hours to mix a song, then let it. Next time it will take 3."

8) Learn to take massive blows. Sometimes there's gonna be a situation where everything goes to shit. The console burns out, the producer cusses you out, the studio is about to fire you and your ego is suddenly no where to be found. Depending on how you conduct yourself during those unfortunate situations, will decide if you come out on top or if you'll end up unemployed.

People in this industry will be very supportive most of the time. However, when money, egos, reputations and stubborness are on the line, attitudes do change.

I personally studder when things reach boiling point. Which is good actually, cause that forces me to shut up and concentrate on work. :D

9) Always ask yourself questions. Every revelation started with one simple question: "why?" Never stop asking "why".

What it really comes down to is, you really have to want to do this to survive. There's nothing fancy about being an engineer. You might see big shots in nice looking studios, but in thier head, it's just another day of work. If you knew how many monster class engineers where insecure of themselves, then you'd feel a whole lot better.

Sometimes it can be too hard to handle, but you just gotta suck it up and see it through.

The best mixes in history have some element of pain and frustration behind them.

So the day someone really becomes an engineer, they silently take an oath to be a professional more than a fan. Of course, always be a fan of music, it's the best gift god and the devil ever gave mankind. :)

Last edited:
Back