An almost finished song....

Cool song. Drums and gtrs are excellent sounding. I'd like to hear a beefier tone on the bass in the intro before the kick come in. Sounds too thin to me alone. During the intro there's percussion (bongo?) playing two 8th notes on the 2nd beat and quarter on the 4th beat and it repeats through the intro ... it'd sound really good IMO if it were more prominent... maybe using rosewood sticks or something similar that stands out. Generally the instruments could be just a little hotter in comparison to the vocal, IMO. Might sound good at a little faster tempo, hard to say. It's really good as is, so don't know if it'd really be worth redoing it to find out. BTW, Monkey's right here and he likes it too.

Tim

Well if Monkey likes it, that's all that matters. Monkey is the Clive Davis of the jungle.

You have an awesome ear, Mr. Lawler. In the last song I posted, most people commented that the bass was boarderline boomy but suited the song. So for this song, I just rolled off at 80hz about 2db. And you caught it. You also heard what I hearas far as the levels of the instruments compared to the vocals. The more I listen, the more I'm thinking I have to turn down the vocals. As far as the bongo, it's the first time I ever record live percussion, so I had no idea what I was doing. I played around with different mics and ended up using a cheap Audio-Technica, it actually sounded better than my condenser. That's a whole new thing for me, so I guess I sub-conciously kept the bongo and tambourine low in the mix because I didn't know how good or bad they sounded.
Thanx for taking the time to REALLY listen and comment, I can't tell you how much these commetns help me. That goes out to everyone.

I think a faster tempo will start to lead you into neo-punk territory. That being said, I think it would probably sound good as a punk tune. Right now it sounds like a rock an roll tune and I think that's what you intended, which is good. I'd say leave it as is.

Back