An AKG C414 clone....

sponge bob

I know cloning things is very controversial nowadays, but...
does anyone know if there is a good inexpensive clone of
the lovely AKG C414? I thought I read something about
one built by the Chinese, but I can seem to find anything.

Thanks
sPoNgE bOb

If you happen to live in China or parts of southeast Asia, I'm sure you can find the cheap, unauthorized clones that are being made there. Since they are in violation of most countries' patent laws, you won't find them in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Europe...

Why not just buy an inexpensive multi-pattern LD condenser sold here by companies like Studio Projects, ADK, Marshall etc.? It won't be an exact clone of the 414, but it will be:
1)legal
2)warrantied & supported in the US
3) relatively inexpensive
4) quite possibly closer in sound to a REAL 414, and probably better sounding than a cheap clone.

Food for thought.

Scott

why would you want a clone of a mic that is not that great anways? the vintage ones with c12 capsules are ok, but definately not the first mic i'd reach for.

sweetnubs said:
why would you want a clone of a mic that is not that great anways? the vintage ones with c12 capsules are ok, but definately not the first mic i'd reach for.

Not that great to you, but ask most working engineers and they will say it is certainly one of the most versitile mics out there. A real workhorse. I don't personally like them for vocal work, but for recording most acoustic instruments or used in stereo, IMO they are great. A 414 would round out my studio's mic selection.

I am looking for a good sounding, affordable LD mic with pattern selections that the 414 offers. The reason I asked about a "clone" was because I had heard there was a Chinese one offered out there. I figured it would be legal, not some illeagal sweat shop special. I already blew my mic budget, so affordable unfortunately is key.

Richie, do you have the B-3? If so how does it perform for a general purpose instrument mic in your opinion?

I appreciate it,
Bob

Bob- I have a B-1, and it is precisely the workhorse you speak of. I also own a C414B-ULS, and a C2000B, two mics at different price points on the same continuum. All reports indicate that B-3 performs at least as well as B-1 as a utility/instrument/overhead mic. It does not offer the hypercardioid option, or the cool 2 stage pads and bass rolloff of the 414, but for under $160, it offers single stage pad and rolloff. Personally, I have been very impressed with the B-1. I wish they offered a multipolar version of the C2000B. I think C3000B was supposed to fill that role, but it doesn't, IMHO.-Richie

Back