An ADAT/Optical to SPDIF Converter

Bobalou

I need to convert a SPDIF connector to an ADAT/Optical connection t. whats a good inexpensive box?

I need to leave my digi001 via SPDIF out and convert the link to ADAT/Optical into my RME ADI-8 Pro's D/A section, which is adat/optical in only (no spdif in on the RME)

thanks

I know that M-audio makes one called the CO2. About 60 bucks. They also make a CO3 that adds AES/EBU to the equation for about double the price. I've never actually used one, though I'm looking to get one soon for my new gear...

I have a Co3 and it's the absolute shite.

THAT BEING SAID - And I could be mistaken - I'm not, and never have been an ADAT guy.

I don't *think* that S/PDIF can be converted to ADAT (or the other way around). TOSlink optical, yes. ADAT? Dunno. Wouldn't think so...

Could be wrong - Just don't go buy one without knowing for sure, you know?

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

There is a difference between Toslink and Adat, they both use similar connection type, but I think you are trying to convert Spdif into toslink, yeah you can use a CO2 for that purpose. They are $50 a piece and works great.

Now we're all getting confused - TOSlink IS optical. It's sometimes referred to as Optical S/PDIF.

The point we're at is that ADAT, although optical, is NOT S/PDIF.

And yes, The Co2 = RCA S/PDIF to Optical -- Co3 = RCA S/PDIF to Optical to AES/EBU. These are all 2-channel of uncompressed audio (or compressed 5.1 AC3, etc.), while ADAT is 8 simultaneous channels uncompressed audio.

Again, I could be mistaken on this (ADAT optical being able to be connected to an RCA S/PDIF through a converter). However, I seem to remember this coming up once or twice...

JS -

Hrm...yeah, i just kind of assumed he meant toslink...

I know there are some boxes out there that will convert to adat. The Art DPS II, for example, takes any input, including from a digital in or the mics, and allows you to output an ADAT signal, with the two channels mapped to two channels of your choosing on the ADAT, or on all the channels of the output stream...

Massive Master said:
Now we're all getting confused - TOSlink IS optical. It's sometimes referred to as Optical S/PDIF.

The point we're at is that ADAT, although optical, is NOT S/PDIF.

And yes, The Co2 = RCA S/PDIF to Optical -- Co3 = RCA S/PDIF to Optical to AES/EBU. These are all 2-channel of uncompressed audio (or compressed 5.1 AC3, etc.), while ADAT is 8 simultaneous channels uncompressed audio.

Again, I could be mistaken on this (ADAT optical being able to be connected to an RCA S/PDIF through a converter). However, I seem to remember this coming up once or twice...

JS -
Just to clarify -- The MUTEC unit I was talking about in that thread was to convert ADAT Lightpipe (8-ch I/O) to S/PDIF (2 ch I/O). This is completely different than transferring S/PDIF from an optical connector (TOSLink) to an RCA connector.

In the first case a digital protocol conversion is required (because Lightpipe is different than S/PDIF), in the second case no protocol conversion is needed - it's more like a "connector adaptor."

Back