Amps Shootout

What amps are we working with here???

There are 6 total.

Are these compairable in size, wattage?

What is being played through it?

Answer these and I will guess aight.

Are any of these amps?? They all sound like digital sims to me. I can't say I like any of them, but my inital prefference of the 6 are in order best to worst:

6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 3

- Two of those samples have compression and EQ on it.
- The other four had the VC 6 totally flat.
- They´re all real amps.
- The guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Gothic... actually I don´t remember if we used the gothic or the Studio... it´s an old Les Paul Studio from the ´70s
- Two amps are 100s and one is 50.
- The thing is, you will be able to tell which samples are EQ and compressed, ´cause we added both with no fear!! :)
Any other questions?

hmmm i only listened once... (maybe better to get 6 different soundfiles...) i would say 1,2,3 are exactly the same with the bass being manipulated... 3 is reasonable... but tube? i wonder...

4 & 5 are shit IMO...

6 is decewnt yeah but this could be attributable (SP?) to the lesser gain... Overall you can't say shit about these samples cuz there are too many variables; I'd say you'd at least have to say HOW it's recorded (and if you don't wanna give away whether it's direct with a pod or miced list both options...)

And oh, this is a recto or alike (or modelled recto)

guhlenn

Ohh... sorry yall, here we go

We used a AT 3525 condenser in front of the 4 x 12 Marshall 1960A cabinet at about 2"/3"
The amps:

Dual Rectifier (bold/solidstate settings)
Peavey Classic 50 (combo but hooked up to the cab)
Laney VH100

Everything went thru a Joe Meek VC 6

4 samples where recorded w/o any compression/EQ and 2 had both compression/EQ.

Only the Rectifier and the VH100 had a sample with compression and EQ.

And only one of those had a setting w/ less gain (guhlenn was right)

Sorry, I had all this info on a webpage but the server put me down and I forgot to re-post the page...

what was the recording device? i have to say though that apart from 6 it all sounded very flat... 123 are solid state modes of the recto or something? I'm curious to what is the laney... i'll listen again in the afternoon...

Guhlenn

i think 4 & 5 are laney... 4 being unprocessed

1 is recto tube
2 is recto ss
3 is recto processed
6 is the peavey...

now give me the facts!

Guhlenn

Wow! I thought all 6 samples came straight out of a POD, albeit with more air. Number 4 was the Peavey? Too much gain for my taste.

Back