Amplifying a nylon string guitar (for playing live)

Cheers. Yeah I have several suitable mics already but I don't like the idea of using a condensor for live guitar anyway. Never tried it but I'm thinking feedback hell (I don't play big venues so am generally pretty close to the main speakers).

I was thinking more a small clip on mic that you place in the soundhole or something.

The small clip-ons are ALSO condensers and will actually be more prone to picking up other noise.
The standard cardioid and hypercardioid mics will reject other noise better...

There's not an easy answer. The highest gain before feedback (GBF) is from a piezo transducer; those also have the worst sound. Mics are vastly better but with more limited GBF, especially in challenging situations. There are several systems that combine a mic & pickup, those are arguably the best compromise, but many of them supply a mic inside the soundhole, which I think is among the most terrible places possible. Separate pickup/mic solutions may be preferable but more cumbersome.

Freestanding mic vs. mounted on instrument: soundboard-mounted can work quite well and allows more freedom of movement. The tone is usually the best. However, the entire soundboard becomes a boundary surface (which is a big factor in the natural tone), so there really is no off-axis rejection for anything in front of an instrument. If you have to have a wedge with your guitar in it, they probably won't work; you'd need a directional mic with its null aimed directly at the wedge (which also has its limits for GBF, as you'll still get reflections off the stage floor and instrument into the mic). Soundboard mounts work very well where the stage is all acoustic and reinforcement is only needed in the mains.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ but in a live situation you often have to just go with the best you can get...

I'll add that the best solutions I have found involve a lot of trial and error. I would go with a mix of micing up, a Fishman SBT-C and a really good pre. You'll need to find the sweet spot for the Fishman (behind the bridge on the treble side is a good place to start), good mic placement, and also very often over looked the right spot on the "stage" or physical space you are playing in and the right blend of the two.. Don't be fooled by what you hear. Have some one you trust mix the sound out front.

It also goes without saying that in this situation you are entirely dependent on the quality of the chain. Specifically the PA and pre. No setup will ever give you the subtle sound of a good nylon string guitar. The secret is to get the best from what you have available and be prepared to fiddle with it. The best result you will ever get is a "generic" nylon string sound.

Good luck.

Thanks alot guys.

Yeah I know I used the word "quality" in my OP but I don't have massively high expectations.

I'd kind of ruled out pickups cos I assumed the only alternative to coiled (which obviously wont work with nylon strings) were piezos and I thought they sucked. Will prolly pick up one of those fishman jobbies and try it with a few mics.

Good points about the other factors mutt but sadly I'm not likely to have a great deal of control over anything other than the instrument and what I stick in, on or in fromt of it to get a sound out.

The trick with the piezos is to get the "body" of the guitar with the piezo--that is midrange and louder relative to higher frequencies, where the piezo sounds bad. Then you mix in enough mic to get the detail the piezo does a bad job with, and EQ each accordingly . . .

Back