Ampex Machine, 1/2", $350 (Olympia, Wa)

That looks like it has an 8 track transport. Cool. Good deal. I'll have to look up that Lyric tape counter thing too.

That looks like it has an 8 track transport. Cool. Good deal. I'll have to look up that Lyric tape counter thing too.

No, its the aftermarket counter that makes it look that way...the counter is there where the 8-track rotary guide is placed, BUT...

That's a great deal for a 440-4 in cases...looks to be complete...what fun you could have tracking in the field with that thing though get a buddy because each of those cases surely weighs in at around 80lbs...

I'd look closely at the heads, but that's a good price.

the guide or the tape counter?

unless you have a 440-8 faceplate you'll have to drill that and the transport plate to accept the guide if you can find the guide, and they aren't cheap...I'yve neve r seen one of those counters and I imagine there's drilling involved there as well...increasing the the length of unsupported tape may effect the audability of flutter. that was the downside of having to put that guide on the 440-8 but iwas necessary for other reasons, and that's also why the secondary flutter idler is more valuable on the 440-8 because the unsupported tape length is greater and the 1" transport has meaty static guides coming into and going out of the headblock...all good things if you like flutter.

That is the nicest looking aftermarket tape counter I've seen for the 440...

Hey Cory

Check out some of Dale Manquen's postings on flutter in the Ampex Mailing List archives. Here's an extract from one from Jan 2004 that I kept because the full email contained so much useful info:

"The idler can also act to break long tape paths into shorter 'unsupported'
paths that have higher resonant frequencies. The term 'supported' doesn't
have anything to do with guides. A support is any place along the tape that
would be like an anchor point if the tape weren't moving, but they must also
move/rotate with the tape to provide support. Massive rotating elements
like reel idlers, capstans and scrape flutter idlers are support points.
Sliding points like head faces and non-rotating guides are exciters, not
supports."
End quote

I'll forward the full posting to you off-line.

Regards

David

I suggest you start by using the right name ;-)

Lyrec was a Danish manufacturer of tape machines. I think they're still in business, but I'm not sure what they make nowadays. Occasionally you come across their 24-track decks on ebay or in studios - apparently they had a reseller in Canada so they may turn up in North America as well.

AFAIK their most common machine was the FRED, a small capstanless machine the size of a briefcase that could be used to edit 1/4" tape on the road, e.g. in a hotel room.

Actually, that's rather fascinating:
http://www.lyrec.dk/

"Spare parts will be available as refurbished, NOS and new manufactured."

...I doubt they still have the 440 upgrade, but it couldn't possibly hurt to ask.

I bought it... Lyrec is odd

Hey folks. Long story short, I live in Portland and drove up to Oly last night and bought myself the Ampex 440 1/2" 4 track that started this thread. Looks good. Needs a few things (we'll talk maybe?!) but heads and wear pattern are good and transport was solid. Anyway...

I google Lyrec tape counter and blammo, here's this thread...! It's pretty weird, that thing. I cannot for the life of me understand how the tape would thread into/around it to make it work. Ideas on that would be appreciated?

I'll be swapping motors next week! here's hoping I didn't buy a heap-o-trouble!

-Sam

Hi Sam,

I've been watching his listings for awhile (my friend up here in everett ended up with his 1" 8 track mci jh 110 awhile ago). He's had various machines (the 3 tube ampex machines for $1500 he had was mighty tempting), did you get a look at his other offerings when you where there?

Andy

sam, welcome. Thanks for posting. Like to get some good pics of that tape counter. I'm about an hour south of you...I've had an Ampex 440-8, presently have a 440C-2 and an MM-1000.

I can help with Ampex stuff generally...

The tape will get threaded like a 440-8...

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 40
Hey,

Welcome also. There seems to be a pretty good contingent here in teh Willamette Valley (does that include Vancouver??)

the other offerings

yup, i've been seeing those 3 tube machines of his on the Seattle CL for months now. they'd be mine but for lack of $1,500 to toss away on crazy rad gear... anyway, i did get a good look at pretty much everything he's got and it was rather impressive. story is that his dad used to be an Ampex guy... so there's all these big shiny tubey reel to reels and preamps kickin' about his place! cool stuff, and would have to say he seems a straight shooter too. we'll see what comes of this thing as i get it rollin'. any goods or bads on the MCI 1"?

and sweetbeats, i'll snap some pics of the Lyrec and throw 'em up in the next few days.

-Sam

Sam, I've avoided making the trek down there as I figured I would spend every penny I had. What happened with the mci 1" is my friend who is a regular here called about the machine but it had already been sold, then the seller called him and asked if he could stop by and see the buyer who was having problems figuring it out (over his head), so my friend visits and ends up buying it from the new buyer at a loss.

I spent my extra money on 4 mci's and a nagra iv-l, otherwise I would have broke down and drove down there, still might!

Back