Ampex 440-C remote wiring

_DK

Hey everyone,

I've got a question about remote wiring for 440-c models. Or possibly a machine setting.

Here's my problem: all buttons work on the remote except for play and record. Nothing happens when I press record, which is normal. When I press play the BIAS lights up on the machine. Even though the preamps are in the READY mode.

Anyone has any ideas before I start tweaking with the wires?

I got this remote separately but was told it's stock.

Hey there. Welcome!

Can you out up pics of the machine and the remote? As well as the remote connector?

So glad to be back on this board after a decade :)
Thank you for the quick reply!

Okay...yup...straight up 440C and remote. Wasn't doubting you, it just helps me see what you see.

Question: did your transport have a dummy plug in the remote socket before you hooked up the remote?

Yes, I took out the dummy plug. And it works fine with it in there...I really needed this remote to simplify the process of being a one man band and the recording guy at the same time :)

Last edited:
Okay. So the next step is to check out if the remote is wired as it should be from the schematic.

Do you have the service manual? And do you have a good multimeter and know how to use it?

The schematic diagram for the remote is embedded in page 6-129 of the manual with the drawing of the assembly.

image.jpeg

Back