Amp sims in Reaper?? Help needed

ThrustTony

I have just bought a Focusrite saffire six interface and started recording guitar tracks in Reaper using plugins.

When I play guitar with the amp sim/plugin active on the channel, it comes out clean when I have the plugin set on distortion.

When I record and play it back, then the recorded track is distorted.

How do I hear the track as the plugin and not the clean signal going in?

I have tried setting the interface to playback but can't hear any guitar then.

The only way I can hear the guitar is to set it more towards input but then it's clean. although when set to play back I cant hear guitar at all

any feedback would be great, thanks

Any delay is due to your system latency. Adjust your buffers. The way to do the distortion plugin in Reaper is to set an FX channel, send the clean signal to that channel, set it to 100% you can then 'arm' both channels, if that's what you want to do and record the clean and the distortion as 2 distinct channels.

You also want it to be set to playback, not input. Input on the interface will route the input (your guitar) directly to your monitors or headphones without first going to the computer. The delay is a result of the computer processing the signal and is pretty much guaranteed to happen to some degree in any system (though it is fairly minimal on mine at the moment). But yeah, in Reaper you need to have the track armed for recording with monitoring on to hear what's going through the plugin.

Back