AMP NOISE Hmmmmm

bubinski

I'm tryin out a new Fender Pro JR and i notice it has a pretty good hum thing goin one. My studio is 14' X 14" so turnig it up to " 2 " is plenty loud in here. It has a good amount of hum, but I have'nt had a tube amp in years so I'm not sure if its normal ( 98.6 )......I have a Tele Custom with the Duncan P90's and a cord into it......no effect pedals hooked in yet ( though I do have a sparkle drive and a Boss RV-3 Reverb /Delay and a ART Tube MP, But those don't figure into the equation yet. Just the Tele w/P-90'S and a cord and turned up to 2 and I think its way to much hum. No, I don't have any flouresent lights and the computer was off. TV was on 3 rooms away, but on a different circuit. No other anything plugged into dedicated A/C, and is filtered by Furman Conditioner.
Think I oughta be taken it back and maybe try a Blues Jr ? Also plugged into my Ampeg BR 100 Rocket bass amp for grins and it did'nt make the hum........love a good Hum job every once in a while, but not from a new ( unpurchesed as of yet ) Amp.
Any theorys / suggestions ? Amp recomendations ? ( Low Volume )
I thank you in advance for your expertice, and as allways may not believe some of you.......'course I ask dumb question, so I guess feel free to answer ! !

Now that I've had a minute to think about it.....could it be a bias issue ??? Is there a bias adjust on a new Pro Jr ?...PS...it's black.

okay...

with a lot of those smaller "budget type" tube amps, the power transformer doesn;t have a center tap on the filament winding. The quick fix is to wire a few 2W 100 ohm resistors in there.... One end of each resistor to the filament lead, then solder the other end of the resistors together and ground it....

Plug just the guitar cable into it (and try more than one.) Short the tip to the sleeve with a wire. If the hum's still there, take it back.

Back