Amp modulator (?)

Cakey2

I have a question.

I have a Fender DeVille hotrod 2x12 guitar amp.

It's nice, tone is ok, but to get a really good sound (like all tube amps) I have to turn it up and it's just TOO LOUD!!!

Does anyone know anything about some form of shunt or modulator that one can put between the amp and speakers (or somewhere else) so that the tubes stay cranked but the actual dB coming out of the front is reduced?

I tried doing a search, but as I dont know what these things are called it din't come up with anything useful!

Better still, does anyone know how to make one?

a million times thankyou

Maffue

DO NOT use this product

These voltage devices like the Marshall will EAT your tubes rapidly.Maybe you have lots of money for tubes or don't care, because they DO work as you want but the price is just so high.Another alternative for late nite apt. tracking is to build a small box lined with insulation with a guitar speaker and mike sealed inside.
Tom

What's wrong with adding a resistive load in series with the speaker? Of course you won't achieve speaker distortion as easily, if that is desired, but the output stage will saturate.

It is supposedly OK to present a larger overall resistance (impedance) to the final amp stage. If, however, you are concerned with any tone changes, you can rig a series/parallel combination of high wattage resistors such that you achieve the desired 8 or 16 ohms total, but only a fraction of the wattage will be dissipated by the speaker itself.

This should cost a dollar or two.

yes

Yes, that's what I want (I think).

Any advice on how to do it?

Electronics is not my forte but I can wield a soldering iron as weel as the next man!

Matthew

Matthew,

Your amp has 2-12's which means it is likely one of the following combinations: 2 - 16 ohm speakers in parallel for a total impedance of 8 ohms, 2 - 4 ohm speakers in series for a total of 8 ohms, or 2 - 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a total of 4 ohms. You will have to confirm which one. You will also need to consider the total output of the amp. Let's say that 50 watts max is being pumped into an 8 ohm total load.

For this case you will need 3 - 8 ohm resistors capable of handling 50/4=12.5 watts apiece. Radio Shack may sell them this large. If not, internet and mail order electronics suppliers have them, such as Digikey. If your actual amp power rating is different, scale the resistor wattage rating accordingly (not the resistance value!). You may not end up running the amp cranked at max volume anyway, but it's safest if these resistors can handle the full brunt without burning out.

(1) Wire one resistor in series with (or directly in path with) the speaker combo. (2) Connect the two remaining resistors in series with themselves (just solder a leg together) and place these two in parallel with the wire/speaker combination you just made in the previous step. The total load will now be the original 8 ohms yet the speakers will only see one quarter of the full power, which should make your ears much more comfortable. If in doubt about the wiring don't proceed, as you could burn something out with your amp!

If you wire this, let me know how it turns out.

Back