Amp Modelers

Double

I need another option; I am looking for a better sounding Modeling device. I have tried the PODxt, Behringer V-Amp and still own a Vox ToneLab SE (the best sounding of the three.. IMHO). Yet still I do not use the Vox that much because it still does not sound as good as my 70's Princeton Reverb miked with a SM57, which is still too loud to use for late night recording. I would also like to have a few more tones other than just that one amp to record with. Does anybody out there use another type amp modeler that gets a good realistic miked amp sound out of it. I do not use effects of any type, nor want to. I play mostly blues, roots rock and a little country. For guitars I use vintage strats and telecasters and use an old TS9 or an old MXR Mirco Amp for distortion.

Double said:
Does anybody out there use another type amp modeler that gets a good realistic miked amp sound out of it.

Aint gonna happen...... you've already used the best modelers there are.... if you aint gettin what you want outa those, then seems to me you are just gonna have to bite the bullet and innovate some way to mic a small tube amp...

I have a 50 watt Vox hybrid, I run it at 80% power, it sits inside a amp-sized padded "box" with a mic, and that box is inside my padded mic booth. At 80% power that thing is painfully loud, but people sitting int he room directly above me cant hear the guitar when I record.

It can be done...... and you can do it with a lot less than 50 watts, and a lot less money since you dont need any fx.....

Double said:
I need another option; I am looking for a better sounding Modeling device. I have tried the PODxt, Behringer V-Amp and still own a Vox ToneLab SE (the best sounding of the three.. IMHO). Yet still I do not use the Vox that much because it still does not sound as good as my 70's Princeton Reverb miked with a SM57, which is still too loud to use for late night recording. I would also like to have a few more tones other than just that one amp to record with. Does anybody out there use another type amp modeler that gets a good realistic miked amp sound out of it. I do not use effects of any type, nor want to. I play mostly blues, roots rock and a little country. For guitars I use vintage strats and telecasters and use an old TS9 or an old MXR Mirco Amp for distortion.

Maybe a Vox AD amp? My friend has an AD30(?...the 10" model) and its great for lots of sounds....and you can mic it without it being super loud. Plus the Line out is nice.

Double, I'm using a Pod XTL for recording. While I accept that a modeler isn't going to get me 100% to the sound of a real tube amp being mic'd, I find that taking some time with tweaking the presets can do wonders.

I've been successful at getting very close to the sound of my vintage Matamp GT-100 tube amp using the Pod's Hiwatt model. I think the Fender models are very workable as well, and the model of the Roland jazz amp is exceptional IMHO.

I would look into other direct recording devices like the tech 21 sansamp psa 1 or the tubeman 3 by huges and kettner.

And question to the person who isolates his amp. What do you use to soundproof your box and booth? I have my amp in my closet with foam and sleeping bags but it's not enough. What else should I do?

Double said:

A friend of mine left his 30 watt Vox Valvetronix amp at my studio to play with for a while. It's got some pretty cool sounds, but I wouldn't trade my '64 (original but slightly modded) Deluxe Reverb for it.

ggunn said:
A friend of mine left his 30 watt Vox Valvetronix amp at my studio to play with for a while. It's got some pretty cool sounds, but I wouldn't trade my '64 (original but slightly modded) Deluxe Reverb for it.
Those two amps sound so different....if you really like the sound of one, the other is never going to hack it. :)

Zaphod B said:
Those two amps sound so different....if you really like the sound of one, the other is never going to hack it. :)

Can't I like two totally different things? I switch off between a Strat and a Les Paul, after all...

wow im impressed with that demonizer pedal. I watched the videos and it sounds good. Wayy better than the amp modellers. Sounds like the tubeman. I havent checked on the price of the demonizer yet though. If it's cheaper than the tubeman then I might pick it up.

ericlingus said:
wow im impressed with that demonizer pedal. I watched the videos and it sounds good. Wayy better than the amp modellers. Sounds like the tubeman. I havent checked on the price of the demonizer yet though. If it's cheaper than the tubeman then I might pick it up.

I think it's like 350.

ggunn said:
Can't I like two totally different things? I switch off between a Strat and a Les Paul, after all...
Oh, hell yes! :) I'm a Strat / LP guy myself, and I would like nothing better than to have a whole room full of different amps.

But you know how some people are...whatever they own one of, is the best, period. ;)

I might add one thing that in my opinion gets lost somtimes with modlers.

looks like you use some nice guitars and a nice tube amp that are matched up well. those vintage strats and teles sound great through a tube amp like the princeton amp you mentioned. each one i bet has its own "signature".

Ive found those guitars "signature" wheather it be a lespaul or a tele, or take any of your favorite guitars or pickup combonations and they just all kinda sound the same through the modlers. Yeah the tele will sound thinner/brighter, and the lespaul humbucker style will sound fuller still, but that "signature" sound from a vintage instrument sounds the same as a knock off for 1/2 the price through a modler.

Not sure which solid state amp will give you that sound your looking for.

Thanks for all your ideas. I guess the best thing to do (for my needs) is just sell the ToneLab and buy another tube amp. I’ll try something smaller, maybe an old Fender Champ or a Danelectro. I am ½ finished building an isolation box for my amps, maybe that will help. I'm still amazed how loud a 15 watt tube amp can be. Thanks again.

Double said:
Hey SC I came over here to avoid you:) Just looking for other opinons
Does the word "ubiquitous" mean anything to you? YOu can check out, but you cant get away.......

scrubs said:
I'm not a huge fan of modelers, but I've been relatively impressed with what I've heard from these: http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/main.htm
The Damage Control stuff is the best, especially if you dont need fx. The DC guys defected from Line 6 after being told that Line 6 was going to produce only solid state gear. They are also coming out with a Glass Nexus that has stellar fx. But, as with anything else, you will pay extra $$$$$ for "the best"..... but they are basically tube driven D.I. pedals. Another option, not as good but not as pricey, is Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, all analog without the tube. Gives a good overdrive sound at lower volume.

Back