Amp/Mixer Power Surge

Jesse Meade

I have a Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp that I'm using with a Samson MDR624 Mixer and a Fender 1270P Powered Monitor. I have a vocal mic and a soundhole pickup plugged into the mixer and the mixer plugged into a channel(there are 3) on the amp. I also have a instrument mic plugged directly into another input on the amp. The monitor is hooked up to the mixer.
I've noticed that every once in a while the volume coming out of the amp seems to go way down and then come back, and stay, extremely loud. I've also noticed this when I've used to use the amp as a monitor with other mixers.
The amp has a volume regulator that momentarily cuts out any channel that gets too loud before it can damage the speakers. I've noticed that it's starting to have problems(i.e. it will cut out the channel but then it won't come back until I turn the amp off and then back on) but I'm not certain that it's related to the volume spikes I'm getting.
I don't think I've had this problem when plugging everything directly into the amp but now I'm using the mixer so I can run a monitor mix.
Any ideas?

Alright, how about if I make the question a little more straight forward?

Is there any reason that plugging a line level signal coming out of a mixer into a guitar amp would cause problems?

I do know that turning it up too loud could definitely cause problems. I mean besides that.

Back