Amp hiss, hum, noise etc...

memo

I recently noticed that my Vox amp (15w solid state, not very good) was producing a lot of hiss and electronic background noise even with nothing plugged in and everything turned down. I hadn't noticed this when I first bought the amp (about a year ago), so it may have occured recently.

And the other day my friend brought over his Danelectro Nifty Fifty amp (again solid state, not very good) and his amp hissed and made noises with nothing plugged in as well.

I tried 3 different power outputs in the house and the amps made noises on all of them. Is this an issue of bad power outlets (which are grounded by the way) or the amps being shitty?

I need to record my electro and I can't because of the noise. Even when I try to remove it with my software, it is still there and not quite gone. I don't have the $$$ to get a really good amp or something like POD (they are $500 here). Any suggestions on getting rid of the noise?

BTW: My Philips computer speakers hiss too, and they are plugged into another outlet...

I see you live in Turkey. I would suspect your AC supply is crappy. Have you ever checked to see what kind of power is coming out of the wall outlet? Are you properly grounded? Are you getting the proper voltage? I built amps in school and it's quite easy and inexpensive to build a solid state amp that's quiet. So the fact that you have a cheaper amp shouldn't matter. Now if there is something wrong with amp that's another matter. Also how close are you to your computer monitor? If you can get you hands on a decent Power Conditioner it might a good start. Does your friends amp have the problem at his place. If not take your amp there and try it out if it works, then you know it's your place.

That's what I thought too...

The power and voltage levels here are not very stable, and I don't think that the power coming out of the outlet is very "clean" (if you know what I mean).

I think I'll have to look for a power conditioner and see if that helps. That might be the solution.

Thanks!

:eek: A computer monitor creates alot of noise (I have the same problem, but just when I switch my computer on). It sounds like thats the prob.

The monitor is not the problem...

It happens even when my monitor is turned off.

But yes, the noise does get more when the monitor is on...

It sounds to me like you may have a slightly loose connection somewhere inside the amp that in effect is acting as an aerial and picking up mains hum etc. If you have any soldering experience you could try going over all you solder joints to ensure that you haven't got a dry joint somewhere. I would not recomend this however unless you know what you are doing.

Back