Amp Fuse

Venesectrix

I have a piece of junk Squire Champ practice amp sitting around that the fuse blew. I think it was just the socket that made it blow cause a computer power supply got zapped on the same one. The amp rest of the amp looks fine. Thing is, I can't find the exact fuse used in the amp anywhere. What I'm wondering is, will it fry it if I just solder the fuse clips together? Or if someone knows where to buy guitar amp fuses, a link would be nice.

Thanks.

Do you mean you can't find the value of the fuse, or that you know the value but can't find the fuse in a store? If you know the value and the size, it shouldn't be hard to find in Radio Shack or one of the large computer/electronics stores, or at a TV repair shop.
If you use a higher amperage fuse, you risk frying something in the amp. If you use a lower value, the normal amp operation might blow the fuse.
Do NOT solder or clip together the fuse leads or in any way bypass the fuse, unless you are willing to kiss the amp goodby forever in a big cloud of smoke and sparks.

What value is the fuse, if you know it?

It says "250V 315mA" on one side, and "51S" on the other end.

As the story goes, I went to RadioShack and the closest thing I found was a, ".315-Amp Fast Acting 250-Volt GMA type fuse"
The size was the same, but the inside of the fuse was a lot different than the one that was in the amp. It was just one strand of filament. The one that was in the amp looked almost like it had a small resister soldered in it...

I set the fuse in the holder, plugged the amp in, turned the power twitch on. The fuse went out immediately.
It made a pretty cool flash though. :D

So is .315 not the same as 315mA, or could it be because it was a fast acting fuse and I need a slow blow one?

That sounds like a slow blow fuse. There is a current spike when you power up the amp which the slow blow will pass - the fast blow can't deal with it.

If you can't find the .315A slo-blo, you should be able to find a 1/2 amp one. Put it in and switch on the amp for a few seconds. If the fuse blows, the amp is bad. If it doesn't, use the fuse and see what happens. :)

Back