AMD Heatsink Fan

Cool. Thanks!

I get it now.

The forums on amdmb.com have been quite helpful as well.

LoonyTunez: I think I'm gonna go with the SK-6 and 80mm Silencer :)

No Lucid, unlike Molex, Volcano is not famous for chipping the core. Because the spring is rather tight your main caution should be not to crack the slot.
High processor temperatures may indicate one of two things:
1. Air between processor and heatsink (paste issue, or heatsink is not properly aligned),
2. The fan does not switch into high gear (bad sensor?).
Because its a two speed design, I would not experiment with fan, if I were you. Good cooling is too vital for AMD. Just get yourself a better cooler.

lucid, I think the Volcano heatsinks are some of the tightest fitting out there, so use caution when removing them. AMD cores are more prone to cracking than Intel ones. 52C isn't that bad, other factors like how well-ventilated your case is and your room temp play a big role. If your HS was missing thermal compound you'd be able to smell it (and see the smoke shortly afterward). AMD CPUs are rated to run up to 90-95c.

riotshield said:
AMD CPUs are rated to run up to 90-95c.

???

Actually, that's the limit of the core.

Seeing that there's really no accurate way to take the temp readings, a limit of 60 is about as far as you should trust most monitoring software and temp sensors, including readings in BIOS. Any higher and you're pushing the core towards an untimely death.

Remember also that higher temps necessarily mean reduced efficiency and operating losses increase. A good spot to be in is 45 and below.

Sang

ok. so would one of those cpu shims help? i really dont want to crack my core...

no one knows about the enermax? it moves 25 cfm's at 1000 rpm (lowest setting) and 40 cfm's at 3000 rpm (highest setting)--> is it enough??

Uh oh, maybe I lost my connection the last time I posted.

Well. Shims may be helpful. For some people.

Out of the many PCs I've built over time, not one has had a shim.

My PC at home has a Volcano 5 HSF, which I've removed, well, over a dozen times.

Knock on wood... I've never come close to cracking the core.

If you follow the instructions off AMDs site for HSF installation, you might be OK.

I hate shims cause they might just lift your HSF off by a fraction off an mm, and that's disaster....

Different people may have other things to say.

ok thanks. so screw the shim and hope for the best?

anyone knwo about the cfm's from the enermax and if its enough?

Don't piggy back on another thread

If you ask a seperate question under another thread, the odds are, it won't get many replies.

If you have a different question, start another thread and more people will see it to help you out. That way I don't have to read through two pages to find out what you were asking and trying to answer the original question at the same time. I don't mean to be a dick, I just think there are others here that can answer your question if they didn't browse this individual thread by luck.
Hope this helps you get your answer lucid. Good Luck.

I've heard good things about the Volcano heatsinks. Shims are a No No. A tight fit with thermal paste is a good fit, especially with AMD processors. They run hot, get used to it. Once the heatsink fan is installed, I would set my priorities on cooling the fins on the heatsink and lowering the case temperature, which in turn will lower the CPU temp due to an increase in differential temperature between the CPU temp and the ambient temp of the case.

Back