AMD 3000+ beats P4 3.06GHz

bullyhill

Almost across the board the 3000+ beats the hyperthreading 3.06Ghz Intel...

Nice, except for the price. It seems AMD is also pricing there new cpu at intel prices, give or take a few bucks. This new Barton core chip has better heat dissipation over the larger surface area as compred with there later chips and a new 640KB's of Cache would or should improve audio editing applications.

But at 600.00 bucks the 2800+ looks better to me.
Anyone converting yet?

Maybe later after all the dust settles. My 700MHz PIII is chugging along just fine.

The impression I got from THG's latest review was that it wasn't worth stepping up at this point and time. It didn't appear to me there was a real hell of a lot of advancement in technology.

As a side note, it pisses me off I paid 300$ for a stinkin cd...(XP PRO)...I can't see paying double that amount for something even smaller. :D

Track Rat said:
Maybe later after all the dust settles. My 700MHz PIII is chugging along just fine.

word..im still rocking a 500mhz Celeron.....I always buy way behind the technology for $$$$ reasons.....Ill probably soon upgrade to 2 ghz........

If my current processor (AMD 2000+ I think, or maybe it was 2100+) is broken (don't know yet) I may step up, but not as far as the 3000+. The latest model is never worth it, since it gosts double that of the model two steps down, and only goes 15% faster. :)

badassmak said:
The impression I got from THG's latest review was that it wasn't worth stepping up at this point and time. It didn't appear to me there was a real hell of a lot of advancement in technology.

As a side note, it pisses me off I paid 300$ for a stinkin cd...(XP PRO)...I can't see paying double that amount for something even smaller. :D

Funny:D

Yeah no upgrade here either the 2800+ would be a better purchace if I was planning on it, it can theoretically out perform the 3000 in a couple of areas.
I still have a P133 & 166 .besides a 1900+ on a mobo that can utilize the 333 fsb but I ain't no fortunate one.

Some of the new P4s can be overclocked by 500mHz, which should be taken into consideration. Also, P4s are typically much more stable than AMDs. My Athlon 1700 crashes my comp at least every week. The P3 700 in my recording computer only crashes when windows decides it's ready to explode, which doesn't happen often anymore since the only program I use on that machine is Sonar.

esun127 said:
Also, P4s are typically much more stable than AMDs.

Bullshit. Stability is determined by lots of factors. A properly built and configured AMD computer is as stable as a ditto P4.

I think the guy needs a driver update, or he may need to configure his mobo, even he believes it's not the cpu.

This is a quote from that link.
"Another factor is the stability and product quality of a system: while all Athlon processors suffered from occasional instability in our tests, the Pentium 4 platform ran without a glitch. Reasons for this behaviour might not lie in the processor itself, but rather in the motherboard design and the chipset used. Future driver updates might not just improve performance but also stability of a platform. And of course, every user knows that the lightweight price tags on Athlon XP processors may have a downside compared to their more expensive Pentium 4 rivals. "

It's never as simple as just replacing the CPU. There's the mother board, and the new RAM at least. Before it's all said and done you've spent a grand. I'm happy with my Athlon 1900+ for now.

Back