ambient thinga ma jig

i like it.

i'm glad you kept it controlled - i hate it when bands like Sigur Ros feel they have to 'flip out' at the end of a song like that, with all the crazy drums and things. but some tiny bits of development wouldn't go a miss (little piano/rhodes melody, or something?)

:)

Andy

i agree. a little development wouldn't hurt for sure. everything was first take, spur of the moment type thing. as soon as i finished the second guitar, the storm sirens started going off so i thru a mic in the window and caught about 25 minutes worth of thunder, rain, and sirens. i'd like to add music over the whole 25 minute track but who in the hell would actually listen to it? :p

by the way, it's only 4 tracks.

thanks for listening andy.

Congrats, Travis!

Sounds like a semi /hollow, but can be an impression ... really "fat" sound, lots of dinamics, I like that !

Ciro

A good listen. The rain, sirens, thunder at the beginning and end make a good frame. I like the idea of raw improvisation just reflecting the moment.

Rain rain, go away. I guess this means you survived the storm. :D

nice recording of the weather. It came through really clear. Great music to go with it.

thanks for the listen tim. i like the idea of this type of thing too. experimenting is a good thing. i've never listened to the weather over a mic. the 25 minute recording started out with a soft siren, then a little rain, loud sirens, booming thunder, heavy rain, the rain and sirens started dying down, then soft water drops and the frogs started chirping. i only got to use under 4 minutes of it in this.

buckwheatjones (cool ass name btw!), thanks for the listen. i recorded the weather with a ev 635a omni dynamic mic. it's not overbearing in detail like a condenser mic would have been and it doesn't pickup too much low rumble. that thunder crack at the end was hella loud so I used a volume envelope to tame it. i was monitoring pretty loud thru headphones so it scared the hell out of me when it was recording.

btw, it sounds much better up loud. there's no big low end here so no worries there.

TravisinFlorida said:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6751

my first shot at this type of thing. the background is from the storm early this morning. we had a tornado watch so the warning sirens were going off for a while.

Superb ambience... I know you didn't have time in the heat of the moment, but the guitar is a tiny bit pitchy.. nothing to moan about. I'm gonna play this for my wife, she's a Floyd fan, and LOVES natural ambient stuff; so she should really dig this... Really paints a vivid, desolate, yearning mental picture...

You must be a little north of me; we didn't have any tornado issues here in Pinellas... :)

thanks for the listen Llarion. the pitchy thing would be the pitch shifter. :D i like to to combine a little pitch shifting with chorus sometimes. good ear man. thanks for the comments. much appreciated.

btw, i'm actually west of you, in oklahoma now. it's nearly tornado season here. hope you guys don't get any big hurricanes this year.

Back