Ambient Guitar Blues Improv

frank1985

I would appreciate some feedback on this. I'm new to mixing so I imagine it's not perfect, but just want to know if i'm heading in the right direction.

The track was originally 6 minutes long but I cut a bunch out at the start as it wasn't really adding anything.

I use Gilmour's guitar sound for reference, plus a lot of the eno/fripp stuff...Evening Star, No Pussyfooting etc. I was going for an analog feel to the track.

https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/ambient-guitar-improv

Cheers

Frank

it's a little bit dry in my opinion for an ambient track, try longer decay times on the reverb, I did like the reverse guitar on the left though, the guitar on the right feels a bit stuck on, it's like there needs to be more sustain, did you use a real amp or an amp simulation? obviously gilmour uses ridiculously high end amps that have tonnes of sustain that easily feedbacks, it's a big part of his sound. The good thing is that it didn't sound harsh to me, so you did make it sound pretty analog and old school, I would try and improve the guitar panned to the right, either re-record it or work on the sound.

I didn't mind the guitar on the right. That droning sound is overpowering everything else.

it's a little bit dry in my opinion for an ambient track, try longer decay times on the reverb, I did like the reverse guitar on the left though, the guitar on the right feels a bit stuck on, it's like there needs to be more sustain, did you use a real amp or an amp simulation? obviously gilmour uses ridiculously high end amps that have tonnes of sustain that easily feedbacks, it's a big part of his sound. The good thing is that it didn't sound harsh to me, so you did make it sound pretty analog and old school, I would try and improve the guitar panned to the right, either re-record it or work on the sound.

Thanks for the feedback...i see what you mean about the right hand guitar...the idea was to use less reverb to bring it forward in the mix, but it could definitely use a little more. I'm using an amp modeller; it's not the best but proper amps are out of the question unless i can save up for sound proofing/a detached house lol

The drone feedback is a cool enough effect. But it gets too loud and distracting.

The clean and clean-ish guitar tones are not bad imo. David Gilmour would approve I imagine. :)

The tune lacks a bit of direction, and needs something else going on to keep up interest.

You have a couple minutes of silence past the end of the music.

like it. what's that wave'y droney sound? synth? i want stuff like that for some of my own tracks, but not sure what to look for. mixwise, some spots are kind of spikey. a lot of loud pokes and spikes here and there. great sound to everything though.

like it. what's that wave'y droney sound? synth? i want stuff like that for some of my own tracks, but not sure what to look for. mixwise, some spots are kind of spikey. a lot of loud pokes and spikes here and there. great sound to everything though.
Thanks man. I used an ebow for the droney sounds. The guitar on the left is ebow only while the central track is an ebow + filter. You can buy a second hand ebow for around 60 dollars

Last edited:
Back