Amazing recordings, but all guitar stuff?

Orpheus

well, got the CD yesterday... and the sound quality is suprisingly good! many of the songs sound very professional, and could easily be sold to the public in my opinion. good jobs.

but.................. why no electronica!?--or music using a bunch of synths? this whole CD is pretty much acoustic or guitar music. and that's surprising to me, cause that really isn't representative of the demographics of american music listeners. there isn't even any pop on the whole CD. the only thing that even comes close to synth stuff is the first track on the first CD... and another track on the 2nd CD i believe.

there's no rap, no r&b, no pop, no electronica, no techno, no dance music, no classical, no new age, etc................ it's all guitar stuff. what's up with that?

there must be someone doing something other guitar stuff on this web site!

I didn't get that impression this time. ABSOLUTELY true about HR.COMP # 1 (1999?). But a much better mix this time:

flat-9 - Ralphie's all about the keys;
Mr Q - guitar? I haven't heard this disk yet, but hard to imagine Q doing a guitar thing;
Regebro - it sounded like a piano-based thing to me;
Brad - sounded techno to me, (motherf$%^er;) ) ;
AlChuck - real techno vibe, despite the tasty wash of guitar over the top;
James Argo - nary a guitar to be found;
Foo - some sweet Walter Becker style guitar, but really not a guitar song;

You may be right about listener demographics, but I think we got the home recording demographics about right --- except that (1) the rap/hiphop/DJ forum seems to have ignored this project, and (2) the techno boys seem to stay away from the site in general.

I'll make a point of submitting something (keyboardish) for the next one - I didn't think any of my stuff was ready yet.

Besides, to quote our pal Slim, nobody likes Techno.

I just gotta ignore the part about Moby being too old, since I got 10 or 15 years on him...:D

Daf

Orpheus said:
......no classical, no new age, etc................ it's all guitar stuff. what's up with that?

there must be someone doing something other guitar stuff on this web site!

Well, have you heard my song ? :cool:
Before I made my submition, I was thinking of what everybody would send for the Compilation... I went often to the clinic for long, took a listen and figure out that I thought most of submitter would probably send "guitarish" songs with medium to faster tempo. I was thinking opposite. I want something to balance it. Not exactly to be different, but just to "calm down" for a moment. Looks like the song made it pretty well... :cool:

;)
Jaymz

Except for a approx 30 sec crap-@ss lead git solo, and a run here or there, the guitar is not featured in my crappy-@ss jammy!
Flat-9 performs some amazing key runs and such.

Furthermore, the c/d was opened to EVERY-1!!! There were no rap or r/b songs submitted by those who are part of that genre and if they were, it was after the cut-off date!

Why don't YOU submit some RAP or R/B on next year's COMP 3
or tell others who're into RAP/R&B to submit also!!

A-Salaam A-Laikum.

mustafa, i don't know which track is yours. i looked on the track lists, and there ain't no mustafa.

???

james, yeah... no guitars. but i classified you as acoustic. you might have used samples, but they sound more acoustic than synthy.

i guess what i'm asking is, where are all the synth people?

...i did listen to all 3 CDs. i was also driving at the same time i listened, so i wasn't really concentrating. so i guess the above mentioned songs are not "guitar songs." but after my car trip, i did have the feeling that most of the CDs can be clumped together as "acoustic."

what i did want to hear was electronica and techo (the opposite of acoustically recorded material,) which really, there was none.

i do want to submit, but i don't want to be passed over just cause people don't appreciate my type of music. the only time i've posted my stuff on the mp3 clinic, most people commented that it wasn't "their type of music."

anyway... maybe i'd feel more confident if more electronic artists were submitted............... which was what i was hoping for..... but the CD was pretty much what i expected, given the types of music represented in the mp3 clinic.

that's not to say i didn't like the music. good stuff! i enjoy this stuff much more than most commercial music.

James Argo said:
Well, have you heard my song ? :cool:
Before I made my submition, I was thinking of what everybody would send for the Compilation... I went often to the clinic for long, took a listen and figure out that I thought most of submitter would probably send "guitarish" songs with medium to faster tempo. I was thinking opposite. I want something to balance it. Not exactly to be different, but just to "calm down" for a moment. Looks like the song made it pretty well... :cool:

;)
Jaymz
Your song was absolutely breathtaking.Kudos!

Mustafa Salaam said:
Except for a approx 30 sec crap-@ss lead git solo, and a run here or there, the guitar is not featured in my crappy-@ss jammy!
Flat-9 performs some amazing key runs and such.

Furthermore, the c/d was opened to EVERY-1!!! There were no rap or r/b songs submitted by those who are part of that genre and if they were, it was after the cut-off date!

Why don't YOU submit some RAP or R/B on next year's COMP 3
or tell others who're into RAP/R&B to submit also!!

A-Salaam A-Laikum.
Your jam was anything but crappy.You have no more excuses Q!Your contributions to the clinic are now mandatory!
By the way,should you want any lead guitar,drop me a line!

BTW beeeeeze, I must've played your "Freakin" joint about a 85 times!!! (not countin' the the copy i made off the MP3 forum ANNNND the c/d U gave out at JAMFEST3!)

I am SOOOOOOO trying to steal a particular riff off that joint!!!:D ;) :D

Orpheus said:
mustafa, i don't know which track is yours. i looked on the track lists, and there ain't no mustafa.

???

james, yeah... no guitars. but i classified you as acoustic. you might have used samples, but they sound more acoustic than synthy.

i guess what i'm asking is, where are all the synth people?

...i did listen to all 3 CDs. i was also driving at the same time i listened, so i wasn't really concentrating. so i guess the above mentioned songs are not "guitar songs." but after my car trip, i did have the feeling that most of the CDs can be clumped together as "acoustic."

what i did want to hear was electronica and techo (the opposite of acoustically recorded material,) which really, there was none.

i do want to submit, but i don't want to be passed over just cause people don't appreciate my type of music. the only time i've posted my stuff on the mp3 clinic, most people commented that it wasn't "their type of music."

anyway... maybe i'd feel more confident if more electronic artists were submitted............... which was what i was hoping for..... but the CD was pretty much what i expected, given the types of music represented in the mp3 clinic.

that's not to say i didn't like the music. good stuff! i enjoy this stuff much more than most commercial music.

LiquidBronze's tune fits your bill IMO.

I encouraged people in the hip hop forum to contribute, but they didn't want to I guess.

Slackmaster 2000

Orph, man, don't let your excuses get in the way. Post stuff, submit stuff. You can't find your listeners unless you put it out there. Slack welcomed any and all homerec participants to the cd.

Coming from someone who mostly plays acoustic music, I gotta laugh at the notion that the comp cd is "mostly acoustic". Although it is true that the majority of the songs feature guitars one way or another.

heh he... alright. i guess i'd be a hypocrite to not submit something next time. i'll try to polish off a solo piano piece i'm working on. hope you guys like it then.

Excuse Me?

but.................. why no electronica!?--or music using a bunch of synths?

My song on the CD comp, Niland, was completely composed, performed and recorded using Fruity Loops! :D

No electronica! HUMPH!! :mad:

:D

heh he.... listening to it now. sorry... missed that one... the drums and bass and strings deceived me in the noisy car. nice song.

Orpheus said:
the only thing that even comes close to synth stuff is the first track on the first CD...
People get tired of that shit in a hurry. Although I like it.... :)

No guitars were struck during the recording of this piece.

I really do wish that people over in the hip-hop forum would have submitted. I made several attempts to make sure they knew they were welcome to. Odd little forum over there :)

Back