Am I set?

thugpassion

I've posted before, but it was a while back. Now I'm back and serious about my home recording venture. I want to do recording on my computer. I have a computer (obviously), a midi keyboard w/ cables, a mic, monitors and... that's about it. Now, I want to record Rap/R&b beats (You know like Dr. Dre) so I want a bit of info and tips from the Home Recording Angels. Now I think 16 tracks is enough. I want to record all my beats from my keyboard to the computer through midi. I want to record vocals to my computer as well. The big question is what type of gear do I need to make "close to" professional beats and CD quality music (software, mixer, etc.)? My budget is $1000-$2000 (for now). Thanks in advance.

I thought this was more or less resolved a while back. If I were an angel I'd probably offer some more advice.

Home recording wasn't a priority for me for a while. I'm back to sub-zero, I don't remeber too much. I'm starting over again, from the basics. Please be nice. I'm a female with no support from anyone around me. Doesn't that make you want to help me out..., again? I'm still a Newbie Monty. :)

Did you do your homework? Have you read the stuff on the homepage? There is so much to consider, and everyone will have their own particular advice. Coming to your own decisions is the ultimate goal. A lot of those decisions will become easier with a good basic understanding of the fundamentals.

And why does this f*****g edit message have to be here?

[Edited by monty on 08-17-2000 at 19:36]

Damn. Up that budget by like 500 bucks. Then you can get a Neve mic pre ($1000ish), the Roland MC505 Groovebox ($1000ish), and some kick ass vocal mic. Then yer basically set. Oh damn, you dont have a soundcard....up the budget more.

I was thinking about just getting a good mixer, multi-track recording software, a good mic, and a better sound card (the sound card I use came with the computer). Is that o.k. to get good results? I hear so many different things from different people about what's good and what's better to have when recording with your computer. I'm just confused. By the way, what is a "Groovebox"? I'll probably go to the Roland web site and check it out. Thanx.

I love Newbie Girls...

Check out Sonic Foundry's "Acid" program.
seems to be designed specifically for Hip-Hop.
Has "Beats", recording & editing capabilities, etc..
Very popular software program with hardcores now.

Hey Monty!
My 2ooth post...And I used it on the topic of Hip-Hop!
Who woulda thunk it? :-)

Hey, Dougie Johnson, what's up? I would like to know the website for Sonic Foundry. If you or anyone else knows it please reply. I hope it's not an obvious "SonicFoundry.com" site. I'l try it and see if it works anyway. If not, please let me know what it is. Thanx. Also, does it do multi-track recording? I had a program that did multi-track recording, but the sound card that came with it didn't work so I had to return it. It was the only one the store had. It was cheap (about $70Cdn.) It was called Montego by Turtle Beach. Have you heard of it before? If yes, is it any good?

Not going to make you feel stupid

Everyone at one time or another has been where you are at, I know for sure I was.
It's almost best, sometimes, that you buy all the crap that you don't even need, which is usually what you do when you first start out getting into, unless of course you go to a dedicated audio recording school, or your parents are musicians and etc.
The good thing about buying crap you don't need, is the first hand experience of knowing what things do what, and you get a better grasp on what to get next time when you upgrade, and your experience knows what to buy, and, hopefully if you like saving money, then you don't spend extra.
I bought a compressor, 4 track anaologue, Dual eq, Seperate CD recorder, Mics, Vocal effects, Groovebox, and software.
Half of that crap I really don't need.
So I know when I upgrade, what to buy and what I am going to sell.
I make Hip Hop too, and I think that I can get by, with EQ, mic, groovebox, keyboard and module, mixer and good software. Of course don't forget to upgrade computer with RAM, RAM, RAM!
If you have any other questions feel free to email me sometime.

PEACE,

I-AM

Hey guys, I'm back. I updated my gear. I now have an amp, mixer, EQ, a drum machine, a CD-RW, and better monitors. I have Cubasis VST, and Cool Edit Pro 1.2 software. I still need a better sound card and a better mic...Oh, and some more RAM. I want to upgrade my computer as well. I have an AMD K6-2 with 450MHz (I really want a Pentium III with at least 750MHz; I really need an upgrade. I'm suffering.) As you can see my budget sort of changed. People are believing in me now. My mother gave me $2000 (Money that was due to me since I turned 18. I'm 22 now, I was pennyless for four years and now she's just letting me know about this? (Maybe if she gave it to me any sooner I would have blown it all on crap)). Anyway, I'm not quit where I want to be yet. I'm still making beats, but not recording any vocals yet. I have to go to the hospital to check out my respirtory system. I think I may have allergies or something. It interferes with my singing. I got to get this thing cleared up very soon.
I want a "Groovebox".
Love Y'all. ;)

thugpassion said:
I was thinking about just getting a good mixer, multi-track recording software, a good mic, and a better sound card (the sound card I use came with the computer). Is that o.k. to get good results? I hear so many different things from different people about what's good and what's better to have when recording with your computer. I'm just confused. By the way, what is a "Groovebox"? I'll probably go to the Roland web site and check it out. Thanx.

If you don't plan to record several mic'd sources at one pass. (i.e., more than 1 microphone) i would tak the omey you plan to spend on a mixer-and put it on a decent mic Pre-Amp and an RNC Compressor.
That way you can "bat down" the peaks before it gets into the PC.

Also, I would look for Software that was equally at home with Midi and Wav/Audio files.

Then just use the midi to program your music, and you can cut and paste any audio tracks as "samples", instead of actually NEDDING a Sampler.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
thugpassion said:

If you don't plan to record several mic'd sources at one pass. (i.e., more than 1 microphone) I would take the money you plan to spend on a mixer-and put it on a decent Mic Pre-Amp and an RNC Compressor.
That way you can "bat down" the peaks before it gets into the PC.

Also, I would look for Software that was equally at home with Midi and Wav/Audio files.

Then just use the midi to program your music, and you can cut and paste any audio tracks as "samples", instead of actually NEEDING a Sampler.

Tim

Oh, I need my mixer. My keyboard, drum machine, mic, and soon-to-come sound module will be hooked up to it. You know something, it was sort of hard trying to find the Roland website. I put .com at the end of "Roland" and it took me to the wrong site. I should have put .ca at the end from the beginning (I'm in Canada). It would have been more simple. Anyway, I'm just about to head out, so catch y'all later. Oh, let me know a little more about the RNC compressor and what software you suggest for MIDI & WAV/Audio files, please. I'm out.

Back