Am I missing something?

zradioman

Throbbing Member
I do voice overs, mix promos for radio.

I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting Vocal-wise (with the exception of needing a bit more sound treatment in vocal booth). . .stay with me here. . .

Here's what I got. . .

GT66
Brick
RNC
KRK RP 8's
Delta 1010

I don't like radio where you can hear things pumping. . .if you've ever listened to Mancow. . .you know what I'm talking about. . .overproduced/garbage. Most of the time radio stations resort to a Gated Comp (or similar) on a promo when the Voice guy sends them something that doesn't mix well. One of my stations sent me a promo that I voiced and it was gated/pumping/boomy/bullshit. . .the fuckin' thing looked like a tone! True, they could have had a preset happy intern mixing it, but I want to know. . .without gating, limiting or doing anything deconstructive to my voice before sending it to these stations, is there something I can do to make my voice cut through a mix better for stations that are still trying to figure out that louder and limited isn't always better?

Send it to em' dry perhaps?

Thanks,
zradioman

In a word... Nope...

It's not what you like that matters... it's the "sound", the "format" of the station that airs the material... If you don't Crush it before they get it, they will... and you're actually adding another step for them... they might just go with the guy who crushes before sending it... And I think you're referring to side chaining... not gating

Back