Am I kidding myself here?

jrhager84

expert newb
I have a basement about 12ft wide by about 20ft long...*rough guesses*

I have no area big enough to be a "control room" by any means, which puts my control room INSIDE the recording area...Are there ways to minimize the adverse effects of this horrible arrangement?

What adverse effect?

People use this arrangeent all the time with great success - it's the only way to go whaen faced with roms this size.

Just deal with it as a control room first - maintain symmetry - deal with early reflections via the mirror treatment, etc.........

And then enjoy.

BTW - I have a room that is common to practice/record/control room all rolled into one - and I happen to love it......

Rod

Absolutely. A lot of people would kill to have a 12x20 project studio. People do a combo room like this with less space all the time. Rod is spot on. I'll just add that in a space that size, you can probably even make use of some diffusion in the rear part of the room which will only improve it's use during tracking.

Bryan

you do not have a problem.
having it all in one space is fine & dandy.
I'm one of the people that would like to have as much room as you do.
It's not a horrible arrangement, by any means.
The upside - everything is in one room and can be touched easily.
The downside is you have to wear earplugs if you are tracking other people.
cheers
C>

Nice. After I get the room all cleaned up (it was being used for storage before) I'll snap some pics of the current arrangement. Then you guys can tell me what will work better. Thanks again dudes,

-Joel

yeah its HR forum, not the Abbey Road Forum...

my brother and I were discussing this, the ergonomics of recording and tracking is one thing.anything goes.....moving things all over so humans can be there, the recorder doesn't care where it sits...trial and error.

but when its time to mix, maybe rearrange the room? to as good as you can get it. Tables on wheels, blankets over the rattling equipment etc... turn it into a mix-room after the recording is over.

its a pain, but the extra effort may pay off....if it doesn't, oh well. nothing lost.

That's a good idea. I feel stupid for thinking this arrangement was weird. I've just never seen it done. I was gonna bring in a few friends to record, but didn't because I was embarassed to be in the same room as the tracking people. Boy was I way off base... Thanks dudes, pics to come after this pig sty gets clean *stupid storage*

Wow.... I wish I was rich enough, or had a room big enough to benefit from that cool ass design. For sure a good read! Thanks dude!

-Joel

I've had good sucess with a similar saetup, my reccomendation is to do somethign to provide some isolation when you need it. Build some form of a vocal booth, big enough for soeone to sit inside and play guitar or hand percussion. Mine isn't fully en closed, it actually is a bunch of acoustic foam and bass trapping that covers about 3 walls and the ceiling, and provide decent isolation to put a mic int he corner of this area and have the performance go into the corner. I can get some very clean recordings.

I normally one instrument at a time, and the other big thing i did was build an isolation box for a guitar speaker and mic and I can play that cranked, put the mic signal through the mixer and ultimately the monitors and get a decent track that is essentially a mic'd amp.

Daav

Back