Am I Headed In The Right Direction?

Gherkin

I've got some tracks together for a song with a band of mine, and done a rough mix (with tired ears after a day of playing), and am wondering if I'm headed in the right direction. I rarely record anything more than band rehearsals for the sake of working on songs, so I'm a little intimidated by *really* recording.

The main thing I'm concerned about is the lack of 'brightness', especially with the drums and acoustic guitar. Also, the kick wasn't entirely appropriate. It was unmuffled, with a full resonant head. I'll probably sample replace it.

The current vocal track is a scratch, and we still have synth and electric guitar to go...

http://media.putfile.com/TNTM---Love-Where-Youre-Going-INCOMPLETE

What do you think? Be harsh, and tell me everything you think I should know. ;)

I like songs like this.

The first thing I noticed about the mix is that it's pretty mono...even with the occasional crash off-center and the backups, it's mostly up the middle. Offset the shaker more, and I think doing 2 acoustic tracks and panning them would make a world of difference. If you don't want to do that...if you could clone the acoustic track and offset the copy by 30 milliseconds or so and then pan those 2 tracks, it'll help.

Man, that transition is so awkward...just a rest for a full measure after "you" would help a ton, I think.

I can't say the vocal's not loud enough, because I think it is...but there's some kind of a...how do I describe it...like a veil over it. It doesn't sound bad, honestly...just doesn't pop through in the top end. You could try boosting it at 5K and see if that helps. If it was me (because I'm obsessive), I would leave the lead vocal track alone, but I'd make a copy of it...the copy I would compress like crazy and boost in the 5K region, then drop it about 15 db below the lead vocal track and start bringing it up gradually in volume until it sounds brighter.

I'll let others talk about drums. It's a cool little tune. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the opinion. The panning is pretty conservative there.

We're going to retrack the drums, and work out that first transition a bit better, record electric and synth, and se how it goes!

Back