Am I going to hear a differance?

projectelroy

Just how essential are bass drum mics...should I buy the Beta 52 or should I go for Carvin's cheaper bass drum mic's...I have been pleased with Carvin's stuff in the past...but I dont know if the bass drum mic they have is any good...Am I going to hear any differance between the two anyways?

Thanks

True that. The Beta 52 mic is a great mic. I can really reach down deep into the real bassy freq. Or a AKG d112 works good. Iwas going to buy a nady bass drum mic and then i decided to buy a shure bass drum mic and i'm glad i did.

I agree the Mic makes a big difference, I use a Sennheiser E-604 Kick Mic and like it quite a bit, but the Shure Beta52 get a lot of good press. I feel the Bass Drum and Snare are the two most important drums to capture as accurate as possible, they are often the glue that holds a mix together.

i think that Shure Beta 52's go for around $190 bucks and the AKG d112 for about $200 and i thing that the e-604 is about the same price as the AKG but i don't know for sure.

I got my Beta 52 at Guitar Center for $149. Tell the sales person you can get it new on the internet for that price and they will match. I beat them down all the time. Ask the Carvin tech person who makes there mics for them and you'll find they are made by the same factories that make Nady. That may not mean their crap but not something I want to put my $ in.

Back