Am I Going Mad?

WFVoiceover

I record spoken word using a Rode NT1A - and over the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with mic placement in order to reduce mouth clicks and found a position that seems to reduce them.

However, earlier today, I plugged in an AKG dynamic mic to see how it sounded. And to my ears, it was easier to listen to and a lot less bassy than the condenser.

Am I stretching the bounds of an acceptable recording if I use a dynamic mic? Or are condensers the audiobook industry standard?

Thank you

W

I record spoken word using a Rode NT1A - and over the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with mic placement in order to reduce mouth clicks and found a position that seems to reduce them.

However, earlier today, I plugged in an AKG dynamic mic to see how it sounded. And to my ears, it was easier to listen to and a lot less bassy than the condenser.

Am I stretching the bounds of an acceptable recording if I use a dynamic mic? Or are condensers the audiobook industry standard?

Thank you

W
Or that other convention that says when you want lots of those intimate' details (that'd be your wet tongue stuff ;) -push 12K five or six dB :D

Thank you

W

Plenty of people use condensers but plenty use dynamics too.

Voiceover work is really very similar to radio work, and radio is built on re20s and sm7bs, probably partly for the reasons you describe.

If i'm having problems with mouth clicks and whatever, the dynamics come straight out.

I record spoken word using a Rode NT1A - and over the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with mic placement in order to reduce mouth clicks and found a position that seems to reduce

WF,
Although I have not tried this product, I have heard that it works wonders for those who have dry mouth/ clicks: MouthKote® Dry Mouth Spray with xylitol and Yerba Santa
I hydrate with lots of room temp water and brush my teeth, before recording; then drink a cup of room temp water with orange Emergen C, during recording.

I use the same mic, but also have a SM7B as my go to dyno for audiobooks, and SM57, and SM58 when the need arises.
Dale

Last edited:
Thank you, Dale.

I will check out the spray. Nice to hear that others are using dynamics. They just seem to sound a bit better for me.

W

I just use whatever sounds best...although I don't do voiceover stuff that much. If a dynamic works, then just roll with it!

Back