Am I getting too picky?

Amateur Eric

Hey guys(and/or girls),

I'm just about to install my auralex studiofoam in my 9'-8"X12'-8", 8' high bedroom studio. The east wall is one of the 9'-8" walls and has a 3-1/2" inset in the wall, 32" from the north wall. The inset part of the wall is where the closet opening is.
I have been and am ready to build out the portion of this wall to eliminate the inset with 1/2" plywood on trimmed down 2X4's so that the application of the studiofoam will be symmetrical above the closet opening height.
Am I getting too carried away with myself and expending materials and labor that won't make a noticable difference in such a small room or should I continue with the build up? Below the intended built up area will be covered with a heavy curtain the entire length of the wall which will make that part also symmetrical. Or should I just stick the studio foam up there and not worry about the offset?
If it makes any difference, the room will be used for mixing/mastering and some vocal/acoustical tracking. The walls are all dextured drywall (as well as the ceiling) with engineered hardwood floord (floating installation).

Link to a picture of the room: http://www.geocities.com/amateur_eric@sbcglobal.net/erics_east_wall2.jpg

Questions, suggestions and comments welcome!

Thanks
Eric

You're probably getting too picky. Your room ratios aren't perfect and the room is small - especially if that closet with the curtain will be at your back when you're facing the speakers, I wouldn't worry about that little bit of non-symmetry. If that were a side wall when you're facing your speakers it wouldn't be good for stereo imaging, but as a rear wall it will help trap bass and absorb early reflections. I'd concentrate more on the sides, front and ceiling... Steve

Should've mentioned....

I forgot to mention mix position. That wall/closet will be behind the monitors. I am planning to put the monitors(currently, Alesis Monitor One's) about 2 feet in front of that closet opening. The opposing short wall in the room has a window on it (approx. 4'X4') and the entry door on the south wall right in the corner.
So I'll be using monitor stands that I can move with tape markers on the floor to reposition them correctly when I need to move them.

Eric

With a window behind you, building a movable gobo would be a good next project - you really don't want a live wall behind you in any room smaller than about 18-20 feet front to back... Steve

Thanks knightfly....
Gobo's sound good and I've hence been searching here and at john sayers sight to get ideas on how to build them. I'm thinkin' if I make them less than the 6 1/2 ft height of a door opening, I can easily move them into the living room when I track drums.

But......
now ya got me wondering if maybe I should turn my mix position around and put auralex and a heavy curtain across the west end of the room to cover the window and change my mix position to face that way.

Sheesh..... but thanks a ton for the idea.

Eric

Back