am I correct in this flow

jmorris

I have an mbox 2, thinking of going 003 for more channel inputs also with version 8. If I understand this right, I could analog connect external mic preamps( I have about 12 vintage ones) into a converter like apogee 16 a/d converter,then firewire or lightpipe( what ever converter accepts) into 003. Thsi would give me nice a/d conversion into protools .I would clock off apogee.
Am I right on this?
Thanks

Yeah you can do that.

Alternatively you can use a pre-amp unit with the ADAT connection built in. Such as Focusrite Octopre, M-Audio Octane, Behringer ADA8000 or any other similar unit.

If you're gonna get a 003 instead, you can take part in the 003 exchange. Contact Digidesign, or your reseller for more info.

Yeah Pez, I talked to sweetwater and they said I get 300 bucks towards 003 if I turn in my mbox2. Still messin with protools.I love sonar but really getting to hate windows.Then again, really not liking the fact pro tools has no delay compensation for plugins.I downloaded demo of mellowmuse so I can use my uad-1 cards. Kind of a pain in the ass.

well, i've been soanr for so long.i have been checking out pro tools to see what it's like. i swear the converters in the mbox are a bit better than my motu 2408mk3 which is what got me checking PT in the first place. I may just go for apogee 16 channel a/d and stick with sonar. i am not a big fan of the layout of pro tools but version 8 looks to be better,a bit more like sonar. also, pro tools is like the only software that does not come with delay compensation...at least the le version, hd i think does.i'm just trying to discover what all the hype is!have not found it yet myself.but....still playing with it.

Start complaining about it when it's actually an issue! I've never found it to be a problem.

It will be there one day no doubt, but as it requires a complete rewrite of the software it won't happen overnight.

Start complaining about it when it's actually an issue! I've never found it to be a problem.

It will be there one day no doubt, but as it requires a complete rewrite of the software it won't happen overnight.
It is presently. When I use UAD-1 card plugins there is a BIG delay. I use those plugins all the time so that has to be taken care of. You must not use the UAD plugins?

Well you're using something that isn't supported by Pro Tools... It doesn't surprise me that there's a massive delay.

No I don't use the UAD cards.

Well you're using something that isn't supported by Pro Tools... It doesn't surprise me that there's a massive delay.

No I don't use the UAD cards.

UAD-1 is supported by pro tools,at least that what it says on the uad web site!But...you need the delay comp software.PT dont give it unless HD system, most others do such as sonar

No it's not supported by Pro Tools.

UAD tell you it's compatible with Pro Tools but it is by no means supported by Pro Tools. There is a difference.

IMO if it's a problem, then UAD need to reprogramme their plugins, or redesign their cards, or make people very aware of the limitations.

The problem here is not Pro Tools, it's UAD ;)

The problem here is not Pro Tools, it's UAD ;)

Come off it mate - like you I'm a big fan of PT and use it daily for a living.

But let's be honest for a second - Digi have purposefully cripple LE in a number of places specifically so that people want to upgrade to HD. And whilst the ADC might not be an issue for you - it is for me. Even basic plugs like (believe it or not) Smack and things from McDSP which I own cause problems - particularly when you're parallel compressing, or have it inserted on OHs but not your snare and you start getting phase issues.

Yes yes yes you can buss things around and stick short delays on them etc but as it is I struggle with only 32 busses nevermind having to make more to get over some stupid oversight from Digi.

As I said - there are work arounds, but it's really really fucking lame that a company like Digi should do this. Putting ADC in to LE would NOT curb the demand for HD, regardless. YES it would require a complete re-write but perhaps they'd be better spending the time doing that than pointlessly changing the GUI and moving buttons about!!

Come off it mate - like you I'm a big fan of PT and use it daily for a living.

But let's be honest for a second - Digi have purposefully cripple LE in a number of places specifically so that people want to upgrade to HD. And whilst the ADC might not be an issue for you - it is for me. Even basic plugs like (believe it or not) Smack and things from McDSP which I own cause problems - particularly when you're parallel compressing, or have it inserted on OHs but not your snare and you start getting phase issues.

Yes yes yes you can buss things around and stick short delays on them etc but as it is I struggle with only 32 busses nevermind having to make more to get over some stupid oversight from Digi.

As I said - there are work arounds, but it's really really fucking lame that a company like Digi should do this. Putting ADC in to LE would NOT curb the demand for HD, regardless. YES it would require a complete re-write but perhaps they'd be better spending the time doing that than pointlessly changing the GUI and moving buttons about!!

I agree 100%. I dont really believe it is an UAD issue. All other daw's do delay compensation, why not PT? But, If digidesign thinks people are going to go from a $500.00-$1200.00 LE system to a $10,000.00 HD system simply to get delay comp ( which is just a $39.00 program via mellowmuse) they are crazy!

Back