Always peaking

phatracer3

I am mixing down a song that was produced in propellerhead record and all the tracks were bounced down to aif format with nor effects, or compression or eq, and when i imported to pro tools, i began to mix them down, and do eq and compression, but my master is still peaking, not sure why, so i turned down the master fader about -3.0db and it still peaks, can anyone help me out, oh by the way i have turned down the faders on the tracks a good about at least by -5.0db on the instruements, and at least -4.0db on the vocals. does anyone have the same problem? or is it just me?

Does it still peak when you turn off the compressors? You might have to bump the faders on each track down even more depending on how big the waveforms are and how many tracks you have going at once.

yea its peaking regardless, and that's the crazy thing he waveforms aren't too big. i have even turned down the master fader a bit and it still peaks.

Knowing how Pro Tools' clip light is set up is key to understanding how a recorded wav (with no inserts in the signal chain) can appear to clip.

I believe that as few as three consecutive full scale samples will cause the light to come on, so if your previously bounced wavs are heavily compressed, or indeed clipped in the first place, then this light will come on.

Back