(Alternative Hip-Hop) My Version of the Blues

derekp

I recorded my vocals with the Shure SM 27 (I like this mic) and mixed everything in Reason. Used the SSL compressor on vocals and a few of the instruments. High pass filter on vocals. Otherwise didn't mess with the EQ. Played guitar and turned what I recorded into a sample and put it through Mimic using my midi controller pads to line up the bars.Thoughts on the mix?

Attachments

• My Version of the Blues (demo 2).mp3
    8 MB
I like the way the guitar meshes with the drums. The call and answer vocals work well - nice blend. I like the way the drums fill the space without being too reverb-y.

I like the way the guitar meshes with the drums. The call and answer vocals work well - nice blend. I like the way the drums fill the space without being too reverb-y.
Thanks. I may go back to the ad libs and do some different things, but I won't touch the dynamics. Appreciate it!

This song is great! I noticed the sound stage had a lot of 400-600k in the vocals, almost now low end, and scooped mids. The highs sat nicely overall I thought. So I fiddled with some of that as a test to see if a great polished sound was in there ...

I also had a bit of fun before work and added a quick bass line to fill things in, and brought the kick up by about 3db to give it some punch. I also made the whole thing louder and did a bit of soft clipping just to see how the track would respond ... the final bounce was LUFS around -8

Attachments

• My Version of the Blues - LPedits.mp3
    8 MB
Good lyric writing. I liked it.

The acoustic guitar is pretty boxy sounding.

Background/answer back vocal could come up a bit.

The original needed some low end.

The bass line is a good idea. That bass is a bit too strong and real rumbly in the low end. But it was a good start.

Good lyric writing. I liked it.

The acoustic guitar is pretty boxy sounding.

Background/answer back vocal could come up a bit.

The original needed some low end.

The bass line is a good idea. That bass is a bit too strong and real rumbly in the low end. But it was a good start.
I agree, yeah a few of those notes have tone way down around 40hz. I just used a sine wave generator to see what would happen haha

I agree, yeah a few of those notes have tone way down around 40hz. I just used a sine wave generator to see what would happen haha
I think your idea, though, is spot on. When I was listening to the original, the first thing that popped into my head was, "It needs a low end."

I'm not a rap guy, but I still think it's a cool song.

I recorded my vocals with the Shure SM 27 (I like this mic) and mixed everything in Reason. Used the SSL compressor on vocals and a few of the instruments. High pass filter on vocals. Otherwise didn't mess with the EQ. Played guitar and turned what I recorded into a sample and put it through Mimic using my midi controller pads to line up the bars.Thoughts on the mix?
Great - although the guitar is not in time with the drums - the loose feel works here - interesting choice.

I think that melodica-like sound needs to come up. It's sorta hard to hear.

Liked this one. (y)

Back