alternative autotune solutions

keerus

i've been using antares autotune for a while, but i was wondering if there were any alternative plugs that do the same thing. antares gets the job done, but the automatic can't always pick the right note, and the manual is a little cumbersome in my opinion. anyone have any suggestions or experiences with other tuning plugins? thanks

justin

Manual mode is the ONLY useful way to use Autotune, IMO....

"auto mode" is essentially useless due to the artifacts it generally produces.

Manually correcting small segments of a performance demonstrates the proper use of that particular tool.

I agree with the Bear, manual (graphic mode) is the only way to go. If you are finding it too cumbersome, I might humbly suggest that is an indication you are probably overusing it.

Don't really know of anything that really compares in quality, but Autotune is recieving an upgrade to version 4. I guess a bunch of new Automatic mode features (i.e. better tracking, more definable vibrato settings, and an onscreen keyboard to better define target pitches, etc.). These might make life easier for you, if your not into fighting with the Manual mode. Plus already owning Autotune, you may be eligible for a cheaper upgrade (Not really sure of Antares pricing policy though).

Try singing on key?

It would be in an artists best interest to keep doing it until they get it right.

Most artists at some point have to perform live, and if they want to do so with out Autotune's realtime autofacts they will have to do it right. A man who refuses to let go of the crutches will never compete in the 100 meter.

A vocalists job is to sing on key and in tune... Go watch some Barbershop Quartet stuff... Its incredible to see 4 guys who have honed their craft harmonizing and nailing it everytime...

IMOYMMV

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Try singing on key?

It would be in an artists best interest to keep doing it until they get it right.

Most artists at some point have to perform live, and if they want to do so with out Autotune's realtime autofacts they will have to do it right. A man who refuses to let go of the crutches will never compete in the 100 meter.

A vocalists job is to sing on key and in tune... Go watch some Barbershop Quartet stuff... Its incredible to see 4 guys who have honed their craft harmonizing and nailing it everytime...

IMOYMMV

SoMm
Not fair, SoMm. Using that logic, you wouldn't dub in a recording studio either. "If you can't play it straight through, son, go get an accounting job."

Live performances and studio recordings are two different animals. In a live performance, a clam goes by in a millisecond as is forgotten. In a recording, you hear that same clam over and over and over. Yes, it can be fixed by re-dubbing the part. But is that technique any more legit than autotune? And there is a trade-off with the cost of studio time, or the loss of an otherwise great take.

Autotune is a tool. Like patching, splicing, digital editing, eq, compression, and so on. Nothing more, nothing less. Autotune can certainly be abused, just like all those other tools can be abused.

To ban it from the engineer's toolkit because simply because it can be abused is unrealistic.

IMHO, YMMV. :)

true true dachay...

I use the autotuner here and there. Obviously you have to start with a good vocal performance to work with. the autotuner won't work miracles (like blink 182) but it is useful to correct minor adjustments. if it's there, may as well take advantage of it.

dachay2tnr said:
Not fair, SoMm. Using that logic, you wouldn't dub in a recording studio either. "If you can't play it straight through, son, go get an accounting job."

I didn't say it was fair and I never indicated removing tools from someones box. :)

What does logic have to do with anything???

I just offered an alternative solution to Autotune.

I do encourage artists to do whats best for them as artists. Yeah, Im old school. But even when doing Punch-ins and dubbing the artist still has to do it right at some point. I actually enjoy seeing an artist who struggles with a part until they nail it. Its like watching someone who won the lottery or something.

Some people should be told to become accountants BTW :)

Oh wait thats Simon Cowells Job:cool:
IMO YMMV BTW
SoMm:D

Back