Alternate tunings

lil_gator

Heard something I thought was pretty bizarre (read wrong!) .... someone had just bought a new acoustic guitar (pretty good cost $500-600) but wasnt using it as the stuff they usually play is in non-standard tuning (open D tuning) and they didnt want to 'ruin' their new guitar.

Would immediately tuning down (open D tuning) a new acoustic guitar have a detrimental affect on the guitar short term or long term .... the guitar would stay in that tuning for the majority of the time and only occassionally tuned back up to standard tuning.

No it won't hurt anything, as long as string tension is the same or lower than standard spanish tuning.

If you were to tune to an open E (EBEG#BE) with medium strings you could be asking for trouble.

Most guitars today can handle open tunings without a problem. Right out of the "box", I had mine tuned to open E. 10 years later, it's still kicking ass.

My acoustic has been in drop D for a year with no problems and I tune it to standard every once in a while....
Myx

Drop D is also tuning down though which doesn't cause problems. It may be a different story if you tune to Open E or A, however.

Back