Alt-Folk with big range - suggestions pls

Whatmysay

I just finished this one today

A lot of Waves on the Shore

It is pretty minimal, but I would like suggestions on how to get a more even finish with the dynamic range of the last few Ch.

I used my best mic technique but nearly needed to be in the next suburb on the final Ch not to distort. I am using Waves vocal rider into 4 parallel compressors set with high ratios but a lot of head room, so really only squeeze on final big notes. I get a bit more room in as I step back but I think I have off-set that a bit with an ambient & wide reverb.

Am I crazy to try and get it in one take without lowering the gain on my pre-amp or input channel? Should it be a comp of takes? I am not that bothered by its roughness as it is in keeping with the genre, but if I am being a complete idiot and there is an easier way then please let me know.

Cheers
Burt

Broken glass in breaking waves
That’s how you wore upon me
You blunt what’s sharp so I don’t cut
Made me a thing of beauty
That chases light in the dawn

Ch
Now that’s a lot of waves, a lot of waves
That’s a lot of waves on the shore

Bleeding rain on a battlefield
You washed the dirt of my skin
And brought the rust and green grass
To overgrow my sin
Held my shaking through the war

Ch

Bridge
Drowning in sands of time
You raised me up on your tide

Ch (rpt)

VERY cool song arrangement, performance & mix.
Don't change a thing is all I can offer.

Thanks Ray

I actually was unhappy with the melodion and have changed it for a harmonica and a bit of slide on the bridge - but still pretty minimal

New lyrics tomorrow - I'll post new mix when done

Thanks for your support

Burt

I would like to hear the vocals brought down a bit or guitar up a bit, but that's really just my preference. Sounds great!

This is the latest version with slightly different lyrics

I pulled vox back a bit, added harp, slide & high piano part

Feedback on song or production appreciated

(Burt Crow Dec 2011)

Broken glass in a turning tide
That’s how you move and shape me
You smooth the sharp so I don’t cut
Made me a thing of beauty
That children find in the sand

Ch
Now that’s a lot of waves, a lot of waves
That’s a lot of waves on the shore

Gentle rain on a battlefield
You washed the blood from my skin
And feed dust and brought the grass
That overgrows my sin
Held me shaking through my war

Ch

Bridge
You rusted out my ancient pain
And on your tide you raise me up,
kept me safe

Ch (rpt)

Bit of a drop in bottom end on mix#2 - not sure it's bad it's different. I prefer the first for thickness. Background harp etc are nicely subtle but audible. Overall I'd have to go for #2 though. Great vocal performance man - love the tone and feel....:D

I don't really hear a problem with the way it sounds now, but, to your original question, why can't you just set your preamp so the loudest part doesn't clip and the quieter parts are, well quieter...then use volume automation and one compressor to get it in the right dynamic range...4 parallel compressors seems way more complicated than this needs to be.

I think volume automation may be the answer to what you're trying to do.

Thanks for for feedback

Not sure what happen with bass; I actually brought it up a bit? - I have got to get some better monitors and treatment for the room I think I'm missing a lot of lows.

Thanks Aaron - that's exactly what I did this time round - I had tried that in the past and it did not work well, but don't think I'd finessed the automation/compress well enough

Cheers

Burt

Thanks for for feedback

Not sure what happen with bass; I actually brought it up a bit? - I have got to get some better monitors and treatment for the room I think I'm missing a lot of lows.

Thanks Aaron - that's exactly what I did this time round - I had tried that in the past and it did not work well, but don't think I'd finessed the automation/compress well enough

Cheers

Burt

I suck at automating on the fly, so I'll listen through a song and pick the points I want to raise or lower, then I'll build a volume envelope (that's what reaper calls them), that way I can just move the fader to control the mix, and the "automation" is in the envelope.

Back