AlphaTrack and Faderport

dudelysses

I am looking into getting one of these (probably the Alphatrack) because I am sick of having to use my mouse all the time for mixing, etc.
Just wondering if anyone has used them and ALSO if they would work with cubase SE. I have a funny feeling they might not work on cubase earlier than 3.

AlphaTrack

Faderport

The Faderport looks fairly cool. The AlphaTrack doesn't have a motorized fader, so it'd be kind-of pointless.

I looked it up on the Presonus site and unfortunately, it doesn't support Cubase SE. I'm using Cubase SL2, and it doesn't advertise support for versions earlier than 3, so I'd be hosed too.

Seanmorse79 said:
The Faderport looks fairly cool. The AlphaTrack doesn't have a motorized fader, so it'd be kind-of pointless.

according to the Musician's Friend page, it says "AlphaTrack includes a 100mm, touch-sensitive, motorized fader..."

looks like it could be very useful, buy it and tell me if it's any good! :D

AlphaTrack wins it hands down for me.

Between the horizontal scroller and the LCD screen, when/if I get the budget for it i'm gunna buy it.

RE how it interfaces with Cubase, no idea, sorry :( try contacting FrontierDesigns? I emailed them with a question about it and they got back to me pretty fast..

MessianicDreams said:
AlphaTrack wins it hands down for me.

Between the horizontal scroller and the LCD screen, when/if I get the budget for it i'm gunna buy it.

RE how it interfaces with Cubase, no idea, sorry :( try contacting FrontierDesigns? I emailed them with a question about it and they got back to me pretty fast..

Awesome, thanks.
I am pretty doubtful about it working for me. But I might have to upgrade to SE4. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

So I contacted Frontier and they got back to me. Here is the response:

Thanks for sending us your question. The short answer is that Cubase SE
does not work with AlphaTrack. As far as I know, Cubase SE doesn't
support any type of external controller (it's a limitation built in to
that version of Cubase). The longer answer is:

AlphaTrack does work with Cubase 4 and with Cubase SX3 and Cubase
SL3. Our TranzPort remote controller works with those versions and also
works with Cubase LE, using a Mackie control emulation mode. We haven't
made a Mackie control emulation mode for AlphaTrack yet -- that *might*
be available sometime later, but we're not promising it now. I'd
recommend getting Cubase SX/SL3 or Cubase 4 so you can use AlphaTrack in
native mode.

Both of these things seem really cool, i just wonder how intuitive they really are, I use logic which operates on the surface much like pro tools, so im wondering about its "ease of use" with plugins, and i use two monitors (screens not speakers) so im sondering about jumping from open screen to open screen, like mixer to tracks etc.....

dudelysses said:
So I contacted Frontier and they got back to me. Here is the response:

Thanks for sending us your question. The short answer is that Cubase SE
does not work with AlphaTrack. As far as I know, Cubase SE doesn't
support any type of external controller (it's a limitation built in to
that version of Cubase). The longer answer is:

AlphaTrack does work with Cubase 4 and with Cubase SX3 and Cubase
SL3. Our TranzPort remote controller works with those versions and also
works with Cubase LE, using a Mackie control emulation mode. We haven't
made a Mackie control emulation mode for AlphaTrack yet -- that *might*
be available sometime later, but we're not promising it now. I'd
recommend getting Cubase SX/SL3 or Cubase 4 so you can use AlphaTrack in
native mode.

good reason to switch to REAPER software. it supports the alphatrack and a bunch of other control surfaces. plus i find it easier to use than Cubase. plus it's cheap. can't lose! :D

Back