Almost There Any Suggestions

nbrennan5150

Okay So I Got My Modded 5150 That I Love i have had it for 12 years now and it still out plays so many amps when it comes to all the metal genres... Anyways i am trying to recording my 5150 with an egnater cab with vintage 30s in it. Live it sounds amazing, and when i record it it sounds good really good. But i feel like theres something im not doin right. It sounds just a little bit thin.. any suggestions... and not quite bassy enough... i use reaper, a focusrite saffire 6 usb "which for the record is an amazing interface for the money" and an AUDIX I5 Mic...

Are you double tracking the guitar? Playing and recording it twice will fatten up the sound.Then pan one track left and the other right.Also recording with less gain helps.

The 5150 is great for bite but if you do some reading on metal oriented producers (andy sneap comes to mind or Fredrik Nordstrom) you will find that a lot of the time they will blend a more mid rangey amp like the 5150 with a more bass heavy bottom amp like a Dual Rectifier to get those great metal tones.
You might also try double mic'ing your cab. The studio I record in typically uses a 57 on axis and a Sennheiser 421 off axis and blends the two. It really depends on the sound you are going for but I can tell you that Metal production is all about deception.

Not ragging on metal, but there is something just wrong about that statement...:confused:

I am not ragging on it either, I am just speaking from experience. How many times have you ever heard a drum kit sound in real life like it does on a Metal album? In most cases you won't. Same goes for guitars, there is just loads of layering/tweaking/quantizing/cutting and pasting/triggering that goes into making things sound the way they sound. Thankfully, there are some bands that are going back to a more natural sound within this genre.
Stevie do you play out in Atlanta? I just noticed your in Marietta.

Appreciate the responses ya i have double tracked them... and noticed some difference... When you double track do you literally mean copy and paste or play the same thing twice??

I notice when i play the same thing twice it starts to create some sort of echo kind of noise in the background? any ideas?

By the way i did try that Panning technique and i must say that makes a world of difference

A real consideration for recording a big loud guitar amp is the space you record in, a small or medium size room will choke the sound making it seem smaller than it is and mic choice & placement is also a real issue. the Audix I5 is a good mic but you might consider using a LDC or ribbon mic set a distance away 10-12 feet if possible in addition.
The statement about deception is a lot closer than you might think, lots of plug ins, reamping and other replacement strategies are in play on a lot of productions.

Appreciate the responses ya i have double tracked them... and noticed some difference... When you double track do you literally mean copy and paste or play the same thing twice??

I notice when i play the same thing twice it starts to create some sort of echo kind of noise in the background? any ideas?

By the way i did try that Panning technique and i must say that makes a world of difference

Play the same thing twice.I don't usually double track leads but on rythm i always double track.It's important to try and get both takes as tight as you can timing wise and the little variations are what help to thicken it up.Panning is your best friend.

Even the sex Pistols built their guitar sound from almost a dozen tracks. Distorted guitars are hard to record well & it's all about the recording process - that goes for most recordings - you should hear my bass track solo'd - just plain awful...but it blends in to my mixes pretty well - took me ages to understand that it was a construction & not the live sound.

Back