Allegorical Tale Invlolving Dissonant Funk

The 320K link didn't work so I had to listen to the low res version.

I liked the performances. I especially like the vocal performance. Great delivery. Instruments sound generally very good. Guitars are missing a little higher end detail, but that could be due to the 128K version I'm listening to.

No real nits from me.

OK!

Nits:

The bass tone is whack. Not enough LF to undergird the quick changes...the tonality of the chords is lost...I had to listen carefully to the chorus changes several times to hear them accurately. The bass isn't 'there' to hold it together. Sounds like a Rick through an old Acoustic fridge amp, c1970's...

And with the quick, muted chords, you need a connected thread of tonality: a clear root in the bass [tone thing], step-wise inner voices...to make it work. There's a faux Hammond organ in the tune..that could do the work of maintaining a long-sounding , two-note descending or ascending step-wise harmonized line inside of , and between, the spaz funk guits in the chorus. Needs glue. A better bass tone might provide it by itself....or if the bass notes were held for full duration? [too?] My ears had a hard time making harmonic sense of the changes there the first four or five times I heard it...references are scarce...brain-scramble....weakness where there is the biggest need for clarity.

The word, "Salesman". Awkward to sing and pronounce. Akward to hear . A less important word could skate...but it's the hook word. Need more syllables in there. Like 'snake-oil-sonofa-gun'. And you'd need to change the title. :eek:

In the second verse, there's a barry-sax sounding synth line that goes L&R. That's the seed of a really good idea. Reminded me of Tower of Power. I think you might want to make it sit still, and build on it...a call and answer horn riff. One thing the tune could use more of is glue. Or a 'hammock' for the busy to lay in.

Good work. But sounds incomplete.

Aha! 'snake-oil-sellin'-man'

Oh yeah...the drum kit is just not cutting da funk. Try a reference to some of Dave Garabaldi's work and sound. High snare.....major muted poppage in the skins. Lots of 'ring'. Might be what can get the temp way up? This kit doesn't punctuate too well...low and inarticulate. IMHO

The 320K link didn't work so I had to listen to the low res version.

I checked the link & it worked for me... hmmm... is you computer blocking popups? - try temporarily allowing them

I liked the performances. I especially like the vocal performance. Great delivery. Instruments sound generally very good. Guitars are missing a little higher end detail, but that could be due to the 128K version I'm listening to.

No real nits from me.

Thanks for listening & commenting.

OK!

Nits:

The bass tone is whack. Not enough LF to undergird the quick changes...the tonality of the chords is lost...I had to listen carefully to the chorus changes several times to hear them accurately. The bass isn't 'there' to hold it together. Sounds like a Rick through an old Acoustic fridge amp, c1970's...

And with the quick, muted chords, you need a connected thread of tonality: a clear root in the bass [tone thing], step-wise inner voices...to make it work. There's a faux Hammond organ in the tune..that could do the work of maintaining a long-sounding , two-note descending or ascending step-wise harmonized line inside of , and between, the spaz funk guits in the chorus. Needs glue. A better bass tone might provide it by itself....or if the bass notes were held for full duration? [too?] My ears had a hard time making harmonic sense of the changes there the first four or five times I heard it...references are scarce...brain-scramble....weakness where there is the biggest need for clarity.

The word, "Salesman". Awkward to sing and pronounce. Akward to hear . A less important word could skate...but it's the hook word. Need more syllables in there. Like 'snake-oil-sonofa-gun'. And you'd need to change the title.

In the second verse, there's a barry-sax sounding synth line that goes L&R. That's the seed of a really good idea. Reminded me of Tower of Power. I think you might want to make it sit still, and build on it...a call and answer horn riff. One thing the tune could use more of is glue. Or a 'hammock' for the busy to lay in.

Good work. But sounds incomplete.

Aha! 'snake-oil-sellin'-man'

Oh yeah...the drum kit is just not cutting da funk. Try a reference to some of Dave Garabaldi's work and sound. High snare.....major muted poppage in the skins. Lots of 'ring'. Might be what can get the temp way up? This kit doesn't punctuate too well...low and inarticulate. IMHO

Wow! Thanks for the detailed critique - very comprehensive.
I understand what you're saying about the overall harmonic structure of the tune not being clear enough, but I can't hear any ambiguity in that regard... perhaps its because I know the structure too well...
There's a lot to absorb here - you've given me a lot to think about... I do feel that we are perhaps thinking in opposite directions as to the overall sound. In my head I wasn't hearing highly polished "snappy" studio-funk tones - I was going for that type of feel, but juxtaposing it with a real "rustic" tone - like The Band playing funk with gospelly overtones (if that makes any sense).
One thing I don't understand is when you said:
"Might be what can get the temp way up?" Were you meaning that changing the drum sound would improve the song greatly?... The drums & percussion are all live BTW, & I haven't used any replacement - so is that what you're suggesting?

Thanks again for the listen & the comments.

I thought the tune was very good and well performed/ arranged. A more slappy bass tone and a tighter snare would make it sound even better. Song's got lots of energy hidden it and it needs to come out right.

Joey :)

What Joey said!

And yeah, one of the downsides of hearing yer own work over and over is that y' lose the benefit of first impression. And my brain had trouble defining the progression in places during the first hearing.

Great job on this. Good separation and awesome percussion sounds throughout. Liked the breakdown at 1:45 or so. Cool wah guitar. Vocals are well performed and well captured...not that you're asking, but the main chorus phrase sounds a bit awkward to me. Sounds like "snake-all-salesmen". Just a phrase that, imo, is hard to sing melodically. Probably too late to change the hook, but if not, I'd tweak that phrase. Again, really good job overall though. :)

Great job on this. Good separation and awesome percussion sounds throughout. Liked the breakdown at 1:45 or so. Cool wah guitar. Vocals are well performed and well captured...not that you're asking, but the main chorus phrase sounds a bit awkward to me. Sounds like "snake-all-salesmen". Just a phrase that, imo, is hard to sing melodically. Probably too late to change the hook, but if not, I'd tweak that phrase. Again, really good job overall though. :)

Thanks for the listen & kind comments. The hookline...Ahh... shades of "Alex The Seal" hey? (Our Lips Are Sealed) - could be my Aussie accent betraying me, too.

Back