All you diehard Apple fans rejoice now!

noodles2k5 said:
What do you mean? My whole point was that since Mac OS runs on Apple systems only, they reap the benefits of selling both hardware and software. Now if they went x86, people would buy inexpensive PCs and put Mac OS on it.
I don't think you undersand. What makes PPC hardware any different than x86 hardware? You can buy PPC stuff from IBM, but you can't install an Apple OS on it. It's just a matter of putting some proprietary ROM somewhere on the motherboard, and voila, problem solved.

All I can say is thank God - it's about time - maybe even too late...

I'm hoping they won't put in any proprietary crap. It would be great to be able to run OSX on a custom x86 box - I'd hate to be locked in with Intel - especially when AMD is making better chips. I'd guess if they try to lock it with a custom chip that hacked versions would appear pretty quickly.

noodles2k5 said:
http://www.maconlinux.org/
You can install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Also, back in the day, you could run Mac OS (pre X) using an Apple BIOS ROM.
Crazy. So I guess OS X doesn't require a special ROM? Though, if OS X comes to x86, I think it's a sure thing that it will have a special ROM...unless Apple is abandoning the hardware market.

i'm so pissed about this.........
why not (in the least) AMD instead of intell??

sooooooooooooooooo pissed.

this may spell the end of a company i love.
idiots.
retards.
:mad: :mad:

giraffe said:
i'm so pissed about this.........
why not (in the least) AMD instead of intell??
Perhaps because, as a business decision, it makes more sense to choose the biggest processor company.

the only thing that has kept this two bit company allive for years is quality and innovation.

running with the pack means getting trampled when your that small.

giraffe said:
the only thing that has kept this two bit company allive for years is quality and innovation.

running with the pack means getting trampled when your that small.
When has Apple ever innovated in terms of processor technology?

they have not.

but they atleast did thier homework in choosing which company to go with,
but intell is backwards in 2005.

HUGE, but not really all that good.

macmoondoggie said:
Ok - my words taste great. :rolleyes:

maby your still right, it may just be a move to scare the crap out of IBM, and get the price down.

it's happened before.

giraffe said:
they have not.

but they atleast did thier homework in choosing which company to go with,
but intell is backwards in 2005.

HUGE, but not really all that good.
So, you think you know something Apple doesn't?

giraffe said:
maby your still right, it may just be a move to scare the crap out of IBM, and get the price down.

it's happened before.
[1:49 PM] There is a developer kit that includes a 3.6 GHx Pentium 4 Mac. They will have to be returned by the end of 2006. They will be priced at US$999, and please note that these are for developers only. - posted by Dave

[1:47 PM] He's demonstrating it with Quicken, Excel, Photoshop. All of these apps, compiled for PPC, worked fine on the Intel Mac demonstration, It was a completely transparent process. - posted by Dave

[1:46 PM] Apple is calling an emulation layer "Rosetta," after the Rosetta Stone. - posted by Dave

[1:46 PM] Rosetta will allow PowerPC compiled apps to work on an Intel Mac. It's completely transparent, and does not require a separate emulation environment. - posted by Dave

[1:43 PM] We're getting a demonstaration of Mathematica at work. It's quite impressive, of course, and it's working on an Intel Mac. - posted by Dave

[1:33 PM] Today's demonstration has been done entirely on an Intel Mac. Steve is showing us how everything works. - posted by Dave

[1:33 PM] Every project done at Apple has been mandated to work on PowerPC and Intel. - posted by Dave

[1:33 PM] "This has been going on for the last five years." Every release of OS X has been compiled and run on Intel processors. - posted by Dave

[1:32 PM] "Mac OS X has been leading a secret double life. There have been rumors to this effect...(laugh). We've had teams working on the just in case scenario." - posted by Dave

[1:30 PM] It will begin a Mac with Intel processors by June 6th, 2006, as reports said. It should be complete by June 2007. - posted by Dave

[1:30 PM] Says that Intel offers a better roadmap for the markets that Apple services. - posted by Dave

[1:29 PM] Why? Because we want to be making the best computers for our customers. - posted by Dave

[1:29 PM] He talked about IBM missing the 3 GHz mark for the G5, and in not being able to put one in a PowerBook. - posted by Dave

Back