All Packed Up mp3

ifpo238

My tribute to Devo. Recorded vox and guitar w/ a $12 Wal-Mart computer mic. Drums and synth bass courtesy the cheap, generic sound card that came stock w/ my home PC. Mixed on Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 w/ the stock speakers that came with the computer and a cheap pair of headphones.

I'm working on building a real DAW now, but I wanted to:

1. demonstrate to complete newbies that you *can* do some "rough draft" type work with what you have lying around

2. get comments from those that have been around on the song and how they'd record/mix/master it...

-j

Definitely a Devo "Whip it" feel to it;)

Catchy backing voices during the verse, that's good. The guitar riff's cool as well. Other than that I can't make any comments besides that, for something recorded and mixed with no equipment whatsoever, it sounds great !!

Thanks, DB51! I thought it sounded pretty good, too, for what it was. It was recorded with the modern day equivalent of pressing "record" on a boom box, and I didn't think it was all that bad.

I remembered reading posts around here that said basically "you can't record vocals with a Wal-Mart mic." And the posts are right, if you're talking to an engineering audience. I was just a college student songwriter, though, who wanted to record my little songs. I'm glad I went ahead and did the recordings anyway. Now that I'm older (and working) and can actually afford to buy some equipment, I fully intend to re-record this stuff "right." Or as close to "right" as I know how to get within my budget.

But I wanted the folks out there who were just getting into this to know that you don't need to go buy thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars worth of equipment to get started...

So, gang, now that I'm actually aquiring semi-pro equipment, what do I need to learn to make the most of it? Is it possible to get professional-sounding music from it? What do I need to read/listen to to make myself better at doing this stuff?

Thanks!

-j

Back