All My Ghosts - Frank Black and the Catholics cover.

Love the feel of this. Great energy. Levels on things are very good. Performances are terrific.

The guitars, at least in a few spots, have a little harshness to them.

To a little greater extent, the vocal is a a little harsh too. I'm wondering if you could just notch out a few dbs in the 2500hz range and help that out.

Great job.

Love the guitar and bass tones on this. They are downright friendly to the ear. What are you using?

I like the reverbs on here - they give it a nice convincing live feel.

No complaints.

Love the feel of this. Great energy. Levels on things are very good. Performances are terrific.

The guitars, at least in a few spots, have a little harshness to them.

To a little greater extent, the vocal is a a little harsh too. I'm wondering if you could just notch out a few dbs in the 2500hz range and help that out.

Great job.

Thanks very much, I appreciate how you always take the time to comment on my mixes. To some extent, the song is meant to be a little hard and aggressive sounding, not entirely smooth and comfortable, but I'll listen again with your points in mind. :) Harshness vs. clarity in a dense mix - a very difficult trade-off! :D

Love the guitar and bass tones on this. They are downright friendly to the ear. What are you using?

I like the reverbs on here - they give it a nice convincing live feel.

No complaints.

Thanks a lot, IBB. I'm pleased that the guitar tones are getting plenty of love, because although I'm usually a loud cab and mic man, only one of the guitar tracks was recorded that way. The amp is a Marshall JVM 410H, the guitar a '96 USA Telecaster. The rest of the guitars, including the lead, were recorded with the emulated output. My neighbours will thank me for discovering how good and convincing that sounds.:D

Thanks very much, I appreciate how you always take the time to comment on my mixes.

I always enjoy your tunes. Covers or originals, they're always fun to listen to. I like your style. All I usually try to do is throw out an idea or two that might improve them a nudge.

Well, the frequency content of consonants such as T, S, P etc, which make the words intelligible even when they are quite low in the mix, is concentrated in the 3-10k area.
There's a balancing act to perform, though - just putting an EQ hump over those frequencies will get the words heard but there's a risk of harshness and a tendency for sibilance to get out of control. Substituting the reverb for delay helped with controlling the sibilance.

I learned recently from a friend of mine about something called "whistle tones". He said that every voice has one (or more than one) and that they even ruin professional mixes. It's where one frequency in the upper mids or low treble just sticks out like a sore thumb as part and parcel of the way that singer's vocal cords resonate. You can pick them out as obvious spikes on the frequency analyser in ReaEQ and notch them out with a very tight Q setting. I just spent a bit of time listening and watching very carefully. Sure enough there was an obvious one in my voice when I upped the highs. I then tried applying that technique. It's not super perfect by any means, but you can hear the words even though the vocal is quieter, and the harshness has been minimised.

Wow, what a nice little nugget of information. I've never heard of this before. I will definitely experiment with this when I get back to my latest project. Thanks for putting this out there. And thanks to Nola for asking.

I wasn't going to comment until later since I'm just on my laptop right now, but this song sounds great on my laptop speakers. I can't hear any flaws, but I'll listen later on monitors and see if that is still the case. :) Everything about this is good. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't know the song already. The Pixies are one of my favorite bands, but I've never gotten much into Frank Black after them. This is a really good song, and a great performance.

I wasn't going to comment until later since I'm just on my laptop right now, but this song sounds great on my laptop speakers. I can't hear any flaws, but I'll listen later on monitors and see if that is still the case. :) Everything about this is good. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't know the song already. The Pixies are one of my favorite bands, but I've never gotten much into Frank Black after them. This is a really good song, and a great performance.

Yeah same here, mix sounds great on headphones. Good job

Thanks, guys. Y'know, this is one of the few mixes I've been truly happy with. I've been putting it on just to listen to, and forgetting completely that it was my own work. I can't normally do that. :)

The rest of the guitars, including the lead, were recorded with the emulated output. My neighbours will thank me for discovering how good and convincing that sounds.:D

Which sim did you use? Do you have any advice or trick on how to get them to sound good?

Which sim did you use? Do you have any advice or trick on how to get them to sound good?

It's the direct out from my Marshall JVM and it just sounds good. Remarkably good - I did nothing bar a little presence lift and low cut to sit in the mix better.

Back