All-ages shows? (specifically Northern NJ)

pointfive

My band is having a slight problem: We're based in Northern NJ (no, this in itself is not the problem :) )... in and around our town there's a pretty active music scene, lots of places to play, but they're all 21+. Most of our fans are in high school. Hell, two of our band members are in high school. Bars are not really an option. There is one all-ages place near us, but they overcharge and we've played there a bunch already.

We know all-ages shows occur, but I've had zero luck in finding info on who books them. I've networked with other bands and so far everything's led to a dead-end. I thankfully have a job that allows for me to make booking calls pretty much every day; I am willing to do lots of work to make this happen, I just can't seem to land any shows. We'll send out press kits, talk to someone on the phone or in person who sounds interested, but once they hear "most of our fans are under 21", it seems the whole thing goes down the toilet.

I feel like I'm burning up a lot of energy trying to book shows and it's going nowhere. I'm spending more time and energy on this than I am on writing songs and that really bothers me. I never expected it to be easy (I've done booking before, but without having to worry about age limitations), but this is getting ridiculous. We put on a good live show, we have fans who are itching to come see us, and I've been trying to get us a show for months. So what's the problem?

So this is partly a rant and partly a plea for advice. Does anyone know how/where to find out info on all-ages show bookers? (If you know specifically about the NJ area, all the better!)

Our next plan is to just put on our own shows. We did this once and it went alright, but I don't know... there must be an easier way. (We're also thinking of possibly doing a street show in the spring.) Any thoughts?

In the summer it's all about the backyard parties.

Also try actually booking highschools or community centres. They might let you rent the gym or something and then you can charge at the door.

Otherwise it's awfully tought to get clubs to book all-ages shows- -- it requires more security for them and less revenue (drinks).

satchmo said:
In the summer it's all about the backyard parties.
Yeah, we'd love to play these. But our friends don't host such parties (or those that do live in areas where the houses are really close together; the neighbors would call the cops). How do we get the word out that we're a band that would be willing to play parties--even for free? We've mentioned it to people in person, and we've mentioned it at a couple of our shows. No takers yet.

EDIT: Well, one taker so far--a kid who's really interested in doing it who we're following up with, but nothing definite has come of it yet.

satchmo said:
Otherwise it's awfully tought to get clubs to book all-ages shows- -- it requires more security for them and less revenue (drinks).
Yeah, and I understand where they're coming from. I'm not thinking about clubs so much; I'm more wondering about the all-ages shows that I know are out there. How do I find out who books them?

It's one thing booking clubs: you can call the club and ask what number to call for bookings. It's another thing with, say, VFW hall shows. I've gone to these sometimes and asked about who does bookings and it's usually a random kid who's doing it for the first and last time. I don't know... maybe I just need to do this more.

Last edited:
Back