alice in chains vocals

been a huge fan of AIC since facelift. Scottgman hit it on the head, it's those harmonies that are the effect. if you think your going to turn on the chorus and sound like them your crazy. one of the things that Jerry Cantrell liked about Layne was the fact that he could hit those odd harmonies. it like asking what effect do i need to play indian music.

That is cheating, in a bad way. And to be quite honest IMO, BS. I bet it sounds great to you, but that is not how it is achieved.

The way to get the AIC sound, is to be AIC. There is no effect that gets anyone there. It is just pure good harmonizing, with two voices that combine together in the special way that they do. There is also the million dollar studio that records it....

We try to achieve types of sounds like that here in the home recording community, and find ways to get close. But, there is no better answer that can be given here, than having actual voices that do what Lane or other dood do with Cantrel. It is what they created by doing it.

You cannot create a 'sound' of others, without being them. You could search all day to find what effects the producer used, but in the end you would find it has nothing to do with added effects.

My peace said.

R.I.P. Layne....

Oh well look since your calling BS I'm calling you a huge heaping load of it!

THERE ARE COUNTLESS CVER BANDS....COUNTLESS...some do a grey job due n tremendous part to effects....there's only one band that can sound like AIC naturally and that's them. So if your not them then you will need some effect to get there. It's not cheating to use technology to sound a certain wy otherwise every guitarist that uses an amp simulator to capture a certin band or guitarists sound by virtue if your definition is cheating in a big way, he asked and quite honestly f you wanna sound like someone else and there's a ack of great voices in the band then there's nothing wrong with adding effects to the mix to ge there. And yea when we cover AIC we sound friggin great. Thanks to Digitech in this case. I love my band mates but they lack the talent of the members of AIC to get us there. There's nothing wrong at all with an effects unit.

THERE ARE COUNTLESS CVER BANDS....COUNTLESS...some do a grey job due n tremendous part to effects....there's only one band that can sound like AIC naturally and that's them. So if your not them then you will need some effect to get there. It's not cheating to use technology to sound a certain wy otherwise every guitarist that uses an amp simulator to capture a certin band or guitarists sound by virtue if your definition is cheating in a big way, he asked and quite honestly f you wanna sound like someone else and there's a ack of great voices in the band then there's nothing wrong with adding effects to the mix to ge there. And yea when we cover AIC we sound friggin great. Thanks to Digitech in this case. I love my band mates but they lack the talent of the members of AIC to get us there. There's nothing wrong at all with an effects unit.

Well then, I wish you the best in your endeavors.

"I use a digitech studio vocalist. It's capable of getting e right wher I need to be to get the AIC sound, I have the ability to mimic other singers voices that are in my vocal range and that makes a difference. Rest assured anyone who gets even close to AIC vocal harmony signature is using some sort of harmony effects processor. It's a given."

Layne is likely rolling in his grave laughing at this.

There is nothing wrong with using effects to help sound like a particular artist. Implying that you can use a Digitech (whatever) to mimic other singers? Well, your typing skills kinda threw that out anyway.

See you in a club near you soon! :)

im not sure if this is the right group or not, but here it goes. what effects do they use for the alice in chains vocals. i know there are two harmony parts, but there is somthing about it. i was listening to the new staind cd, and they have a song called layn. which was of course about staleys death, but they have the exact sound of the old alice in chains vocals. i am new to recording, and i figured out how to get freat sounds out of the guitars, drums and bass, but the vocals i just cant hit. ive tried 60 condensor mics al lthe way up to a 600 dollar mic. i get a pretty good sound but you can tell it was recorded at home. i get studio qality on everything else. so i guess all im looking for is waht effects should i try. ive tried reverb and everyone tells me its to much. thanks in advance. you guys rock.
So yes they are known for harmonies and that’s not the question your asking. First off nobody is gonna duplicate Staleys’ voice. There isn’t a reason to even try. But what you want is to try and get that AIC sound close and you have to use effects on board and or with pedals. Use your condenser mic put your board effects on Reverb and Echo and adjust them accordingly. You will not need a lot but work with it and you will find where the reverb and echo start to blend and delay out same time but a short delay. You will know when hear it by ear like tuning your guitar you hear it go in tune hopefully. Just listen for the sound waves to mesh and fall in sync. Also last and most important for the microphone get a harmony pedal and your voice will harmonize itself through that pedal cause you are not gonna sing same and hit same notes as Layne but it will give you what your looking for as far as there tone. Laynes’ voice was grunge era voice and raspy. But that’s cause he uses his diaphragm when singing and taught himself breath control and how to do that rather than strain like Mitch from Metallica and other singers do. Also he uses Vocal FRY! When singing but gotta be careful cause to much vocal fry is bad. Staley was able to know when to and when not to. He is one that can get away with adding that to his singing technique. Staley had incredible control, range, and sound. That’s what made him stand out as vocalist but no point in anybody trying to sing like him. Hell who doesn’t want his voice. But if it was easy then everyone could yea h self to sound like him but not gonna he was one of kind and unique. Just like Several other singers who had amazing voices that people would kill to sound like but never gonna that’s what made them who they were or are. i.e. Freddy Mercury, and Chris Cornell incredible distinct voices that can’t be duplicated as well. Use those effects and get that harmony pedal and you will get what you are wanting and answer to the question you asked.

Co

Cover bands are exactly that but I don’t care. Your not gonna get Anywhere near Staleys voice. NOBODY will or can sorry to be bearer of bad news. Yea there are people that can train self and get vocal coach to help them sing like his style with Grunge sound, raspy voice, using chest voice over head voice, teach self how to use breath control and diaphragm rather than vocal chord strain to sing which Staley was 100% diaphragm singer that’s why he barely opens mouth and it looks effortless for him cause he taught self to do that. Also he uses vocal fry when singing. Which you can also learn technique but I don’t care what you say or what gadgets you buy. Hell you could go invent a Staley pedal and all it does is recordings of his actual voice but then again that’s him singing not you and your not gonna sound like him or anybody else that was that distinct. You will sound like you using that grunge era style singing like Cobainand all the 90’s singers did. Cause of rasp and vocal fry. Chris Cornell is another you not anybody else on earth can’t sing like. So say what you want but everyone is unique in own way and sound that’s what made them who they was or are and stand out. If there was another that could sound identical then he would be singing for AIC instead of William Duvall but it’s not possible and never will be to sound exactly same. Sorry!!!

ZOMBIE-THREAD-BACK.jpg

Alice in Chains vocal effects are usually achieved through two harmony parts - one high and one low. They also use a lot of distortion and reverb to achieve their signature sound. If you're new to recording, it might be helpful to start with basic guitar, drum, and bass tracks and then work on adding vocals later. This way, you'll have a solid foundation for your song and the vocals will be easier to balance in the mix.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Back