Alesis studio32+busses

A bus? Why that is that vehicle that drives around picking people up and taking them to another location... :)

Seriously though, that is sort of what a bus on a mixing console is. You can tell a input channel to go to a certain place, or the bus. You can have a whole bunch, if not all of your channels going to this bus, and then you have a master fader for everything assigned to the bus.

This is usefull if you want to say just turn down the whole drum mix. You assign all the channels that have the drums on them to a bus, then you can turn down just the drums with one fader without turning any of the other channels down.

Usually, mixers have busses in multiples of two. 2, 4 ,8, 16 busses. When you assign the channel to a bus, you are actually potentially assigning it to two busses. Depending upon how many busses are on the mixer, you will have a button on each channel strip to assign it to 1&2, 3&4, etc....Now, depending upon where the channels PAN control is set, that channel will feed that a certain buss of the two that where selected. Odd busses are left, Even busses are right. So, if you want a buss to be stereo, for instance for controlling a stereo drum mix, you would assign all the drum channels to say buss 1&2, then Pan the induvidual channels to create a stereo field. Then, buss master fader 1 will control the left volume, and buss master fader 2 will control the right volume.

Busses can be assigned further to the stereo Master buss on the console. This is the one usually marked MIX, or MASTER.

Ed

Yo Sonusman:

Thanks for the expertise regarding busses; I have never quite figured out the left/right panning, etc., since it sounds funny in the headset; but this PM I'm going to try some of what you clarified with my MD-8 which I think operates in conjunction with your response.

Thanks,

Green Hornet

Back