Alesis Studio Package

intune

Have never done any recording and am looking into the Alesis LX-20, Studio 24 mixing console, Nano compressor, and Nano Effects. Am wondering if there are any users of this gear on the forum, and how do they like the system. Also thought of the XT-20 instead of the Lx-20, but not sure of the differances. I think the Xt-20 has better editing features, right? Anything you can tell me about this gear would be helpfull.

[This message has been edited by intune (edited 02-14-2000).]

The studio pack is good deal, you save alot for the LX and studio 24 which is what Ill probly do when I add an ADAT to my rigg.

I will say this for sure, the nanocomp is absolute horseshit. Ive never used the nanofx but my guess is youll be better off selling them off and saving for some other gear. If you wanna stick with Alesis products the MidiVerb IV is a good processor. The 3630 compressor isnt regaurded very highly here but its better than the nanocomp. A great all around compreesor is a Behringer composser.

I dont have enough experience with ADAts to lit the differences between thr LX and XT.

Down the road, you are going to wish you had the +4 inputs via the Elco connector that the XT has but the LX doesn't.

The Alesis consoles will not be confused with real recording cosoles at the under $1000 price tag they carry.

Bottom line, if you don't expect too much from this setup, you probably won't be disappointed. But, if you buy it, I just hope we don't see the normal "I can't seem to make my mix sound like the Tool CD".... :)

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Thanks alot for the info. I have been trying to read all I can and am starting to understand more. Friends say I need an ADAT. Have a couple more questions? How good are the systems that record to an internal hard drive? If there are empty tracks on a tape or hard drives does this mean noise? I have a very good computer in my home. I will be recording in a building in my yard and can't really bring my computer there. Was thinking I may be able to record on something with a hard drive and then bring to my computer. If I went this route would I need a mixer in the building, or could I mix on my computer? Don't know if I am asking thes questions on the right forum and if not please forgive. You people are really helping me out.

I am right in the middle of doing exactly what you are (band wants to record in the basement - great "nonluggable" computer in my office). So, I bought a LX20 to start recording with - at $1295new - a $700 savings from the XT. I chose this vs the XT because I knew I would eventually want another unit of some sort (ADAT or Hard Disk Recorder) to complete my portability goal of not moving my computer. I could always upgrade with that next unit if desired. I will use the savings to buy an interface and edit software. So, for me, the next issue was interface unit, edit software and "the next unit question".

I am torn between buying another ADAT (one machine in the basement, one at my computer - then I just carry tapes + get 16 tracks live when I want it); or, the hard disk options (either inside the computer or stand alone). I think I have eliminated the stand alone (fosteck, roland etc) options and am going for straight to the computer hard disk. This leads to - Interfacing. I am assuming PC-Win95 or 98 platform. Options I have narrowed to are the Alesis Edit card, MOTU 2408 or waiting for the Digi001 package for Win98 (avail 3/31??).

The forum gave me great info on the MOTU 2408 and Alesis Edit options. I would love feedback on the Digi 001/Pro Tools LE option. Help?

This forum is excellent - I agree. Very helpful to novices like me. ....I feel a song coming on.

Back