Alesis Studio 32 and Layla

jimmy_LD

Okay, so I have a question about how to do this...

If I were to put a mic into the XLR input on my Studio 32, can't I come out of the "direct out" 1/4" female and into my Layla box?

This seems like the proper way to do it, but is there some other way I should hook it up?

thanks in advance
jimmy

jimmy_LD said:

If I were to put a mic into the XLR input on my Studio 32, can't I come out of the "direct out" 1/4" female and into my Layla box?

This seems like the proper way to do it, but is there some other way I should hook it up?

thanks in advance
jimmy

Peace jimmy!

Are you referring to the "direct outs" on a particular channel on the 32 !? If so, the "direct outs" on each channel are female RCA's
basically intended for connection to a Multi-Trk recorder so the
"MONITOR" function of the 32 can be utilized or to bounce specific
tracks to the 32's "GRP" function.

Could you kindly explain further what is it you're trying to do!

Thx!

kind of...

Mister Q:
What I am trying to do is take a channel on the 32 out (post fader) to the Echo Layla unit, which has eight inputs, all 1/4".

On the 32 there are 1/4" females labeled:
Direct OUT
Tape IN
Insert
Line IN

Then there is an XLR mic input...

Is it possible to use the 1/4" "direct OUT" female and go into my Layla? Is this a post fader thing where I could EQ and then send it to the computer input (Layla)?

Basically I am trying to record drums so I can have a separate track for each piece.

Am I making any sense???

Thanks Q,
Jimmy

Jimmy,
im not familar with the layla card but I dont see any problem with using your direct outs from each channel to send your individual tracks to the layla. I Believe MisterQcue is getting the studio 32 confused with the 24. The 24 has rca's for direct outs and the 32 has 1/4 " jacks. Anyways i believe it will work. I use the direct outs all the time when recording with my adats.

OHHHH! OK! Yes U can use the "Direct Outs" to the Layla.

To go post-fader, put board in "MONITOR" mode; D.O. switch in down position and using the purple pots for gain control.

jimmy_LD said:

thanks in advance
jimmy

You've got it right. I've got an Alesis Studio32 and Layla24 (used to have two, but I sold the one I never used). If you're anything like me then you'll grow to hate the Studio 32! It's already broke down on me once and the routing matrix on channel 8 doesn't work. Finding a place that would servcie the mixer was a chore. I had to drive over 100 miles from where I live to take it to an authorized service center. It cost over $100 to fix it the first time, I dread to think about what it's going to cost to fix the routing matrix. I would rather do without since I'm planning on getting rid of it anyway.

It's nice to start out with after a while you start to realize that the pre-amps totally suck, the crosstalk is horrible and it's noisy, noisy, noisy! GRRRRRR!! That's just me though. I'm also going to be selling my last Layla in favor of a MOTU 24 i/o system. I need the inputs, but not the seperate PCI cards to do it. So far Echo hasn't done much to address this issue outside of providing the Layla ex, but I had already purchased two Layla24 units before they released that option. IMO the Layla24 is a very nice interface, but it's too limiting in the areas where I need it the most.

Re: Re: Alesis Studio 32 and Layla

charliedango said:
You've got it right. I've got an Alesis Studio32 and Layla24 (used to have two, but I sold the one I never used). If you're anything like me then you'll grow to hate the Studio 32! It's already broke down on me once and the routing matrix on channel 8 doesn't work. Finding a place that would servcie the mixer was a chore. I had to drive over 100 miles from where I live to take it to an authorized service center. It cost over $100 to fix it the first time, I dread to think about what it's going to cost to fix the routing matrix. I would rather do without since I'm planning on getting rid of it anyway.

It's nice to start out with after a while you start to realize that the pre-amps totally suck, the crosstalk is horrible and it's noisy, noisy, noisy! GRRRRRR!! That's just me though. I'm also going to be selling my last Layla in favor of a MOTU 24 i/o system. I need the inputs, but not the seperate PCI cards to do it. So far Echo hasn't done much to address this issue outside of providing the Layla ex, but I had already purchased two Layla24 units before they released that option. IMO the Layla24 is a very nice interface, but it's too limiting in the areas where I need it the most.

1 more thing about the 32 charlie is the d@mn switches are soooo small, you can't even tell whther they're in the UP or DOWN position! That's why I've retired both the 24 and 32!

Studio 32's shortcomings

I hear you about the Studio 32, another gripe is the silly notion of having an input be one thing when the plug is only part way in the jack, and another when it's all the way in...sheesh!

I'd like to know what others would consider a good replacement. My basic situation is that I'm using it with two ADAT machines.

Re: Studio 32's shortcomings

Tonekat said:
I hear you about the Studio 32, another gripe is the silly notion of having an input be one thing when the plug is only part way in the jack, and another when it's all the way in...sheesh!

I'd like to know what others would consider a good replacement. My basic situation is that I'm using it with two ADAT machines.

You must be referring to the Auxes!!

Oh yeah! The auxes....a professional friend read the manual when he put together our control room, and he was like, "man, they try to be all things to all people with this board!"
How I envy his Sountracks Topaz.

Back