Alesis SR16

triple-zero

I'm think of buying this drum machine. Is it any good? I'm looking for un-acoustic, techno, 'weird' sounds and ive heard the Alesis SR16 is good for that kinda thing??? I'm using it for my band (with an acoustic drum kit). Gonna use the drum machine to add some electronics to our sound.

cheers,

Tom.

it's not "wierd" sounding at all, actually it has quite basic acoustic samples which are nice but not good enough to my taste.

If you need "wierd" electronic techno sound you should get a TR roland machine, or just program an analog synth.

The SR-16 is more of a Swiss Army Knife drum machine. Wide range of sounds, more acoustic than electric. It does have four outputs so you can have seperate outs for Bass, Snare, and a stereo mix or any combination you choose, to process externally. And you do get the basic sample editing features (Pitch,Pan,Volume,Etc.). The sequencer is a PAIN to use though. I only use mine as an additional sound module, and the samples are pretty decent all around, hence this thing has been a staple, in the industry for so long.

Second that. I use the presets on mine almost exclusively. OK for demos that need a drum track, but some aspects of programming are more trouble than they are worth in terms of the sound quality.

The S6-16 won't do. Check out the Electribe Series from Korg, or the Elektron Machine Drum (which I'm sure is more than you want to spend, but it's awesome)

Alesis - Still good...

Consider looking for an HR16 as well... They are an older series of Alesis units But will be more suited to your needs..... Good Luck!!

Yeah, electribes are pretty cool for the needs you describe...
Or a laptop with acid4. That's endless and completely versatile.

Back