alesis SR16 vs. Zoom MRT3 vs. Zoom RT223

diogo said:
you're in the US right? that would requier somekind of voltage adapter right?

humm...

Oh, I just realized you were in Lisbon....I don't know for sure about the voltage thing. It has an external power supply, so the unit runs on 9V DC....I have the original power supply, but perhaps you could just use a different one.... :confused:

i have a zoom mrt-3 and it doesnt synchronize with the mrs-4 (which it's made escpecially to do) It's got some pretty alright sounds, but its not really all that great. I'm looking to sell them both sometime and just get the mrs-8 that has the drum machine built in.

By the way, Diogo, if you ever read "Recording" mag, then you know that it offers pro critiques of readers' CDs. These reviews almost always condemn the drum-machine tracks. Recently, though, a reviewer specifically praised a digital drum track as one of the best he'd ever heard. The machine? The Yamaha dd55, about $200. Of course, the CD in question also used real cymbals, generally the weakest part of e-drums. I'll be auditioning that Yamaha, too, even if it looks lame.

J.

Once again,you can use the drum machine for programing and get your sounds elsewhere down the road if you use midi.
That makes the internal sounds not as relevant.
If your just recording it straight,then your stuck.

I have an Alesis SR-16 and have tried the cheaper Zoom machines you have listed. The Zooms did not have a midi out, meaning you could not record to a seqeuncer, or trigger other sound modules. The sounds in the Zoom machines are better IMHO than those in the SR-16. For the most part, SR-16 samples sound like 80s drums with too much reverb, but i have managed to build a decent dry kit. The SR-16 also allows the user to tune each drum, and to route the drum through different outputs. there are 4 analog outputs on the SR-16. The user could put a snare drum on one channel and the kick drum on another channel for different compression effects etc.

Even with all these handy features, I still think better drum sounds can be had by using a software sampler.

i use my drum machine to write patterns and for practice and to lay down quick tracks in a song.

Steve

Alesis SR16 back up to computer?

SR16 question:
I think I remember someone using a computer to back up their SR16.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
THANKS

I used an SR16 for years... it's a good sounding metal drum machine.... very flexible if you have the time for it.... You can get them cheap on eBay...

rgbdrum said:
SR16 question:
I think I remember someone using a computer to back up their SR16.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
THANKS

If it has got a midi out you can back it up.
I've done this several times with a DR660.

SR16 back up options

I recall this person could down load SR16 content to his computer.
He could then load selected songs in any order back to the SR16.
A specific set sequence for a performance ( for example ).
Might this be possible if you have midi on your computer?
would you go into computer through mic line on front.
Anyone have experience with this?

tanx for all the input guys...

i think im gonna go with the SR16 and just see what i can do with it...some ppl have mentioned you can actually single out a decent dry kit, so thats good...what i would really need to know now, in order to go with it, would be wether or not the whole thing can be patched to 2 outs only...i know it has 4 outs but thats too much to fit my tascam US122, it only has two analog ins...

again, i cant route everything through the midi out in it can i? ..thats weird, i dont understand midi at all, never played with anything, but if it has a midi in, and a midi out, in my view, things sould be routable through the midi out :/

but im probably missing the whole midi point here.. :D

tanx again!

SR-16 experience

I've owned an sr-16 for about 12 years and have been very pleased with results. As others have said it pays to make up your own kit from the built in sounds but that doesn'y take long at all.... even for a technophobe guitarist like myself. :) I Mostly use it to play along to on electric guitar with a sequenced keboard playing base, but have recently started to record into cubase.

depending on the sequencing software you are/intend to use you can either record the drums as an audio track through the tascam interface, but the better option would be to record the midi data which you can then edit to alter drum voicing or even note placement. I know this proberly sounds complicated, but a couple of evenings in front of the pc and you'll be laying down your first track...if not sooner.

The SR-16 seems to be around £80.00 in th uk these days.

I use the zoom mrt-3 for songwriting. I think it good for getting an idea down on tape. Here a scratch copy of a song I'm working on, the drums are the zoom mrt-3. Please note that the cymbals don't sound that bad, in my recording I turned up the high eg on my mixer which made them sound phasey.

Back