Alesis SR16 cymbal sounds

goldtopchas

Does anyone have some tips for getting better cymbal sounds out of an SR16? The drum sounds aren't bad but the crash cymbals are really cheesy!!! HELP!!! I don't want to buy real cymbals and have to dub them into the drum tracks.

:cool: Yo Golden one:

Once I kind of dropped my SR16 on the carpet and when I plugged it in, the cymbals sounded like they were distant, far, not as clear as usual.

If you look in the manual, you can reset your SR16 in a couple of strokes and that should bring your drum box back to the way it should sound. If this doesn't work, buy a Boss 880--new box that I'm on the way to purchase. I use the Boss 770 and it is a good box for my purposes.

Cio,

Green Hornet :D :p :D

Drum machine cymbals are notoriously cheesy. I actually used to have a cymbal set up, back when I was using the dm a lot. For that really cheesy sound, try an old (mid-80's) Yamaha RX15 (the first digital dm, I believe) with 8-bit samples! The cymbals sound like trash can lids.

You can get samples of real cymbals for less than the price of a real one. One company I get loop discs from is www.betamonkeymusic.com. I have an SR16 too, and yeah, the crashes and the hats leave a lot to be desired. The rides are usable, though.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that although the SR-16's cymbal sounds are pretty goofy, they become much less horrible once you mix them with other instruments.

I use a Yamaha DD-55, and the cymbals are not that great. What I did was to double track (recorded two tracks simultaneously) and compress the hell out of them. Then I added a phaser set really low, and that made them sound more natural. MadAudio has the best idea for cymbals, though. Sample CD's are great. They record real kits and real cymbols.

I have the older Alesis HR-16. The cymbals are pretty bad. Like the Sr-16 the drums are decent but the cymbals sucked. I was going to upgrade to a SR-16 for better cymbals but when I checked out some sound samples I discovered that the cymbals sounded the same as the older model. The only thing I can reallt do with them is to bury them in the mix. I also have used two cymbal sounds at the same time to try to make them sound better. MIx a tuned down ride cymbal in with the crash.
At the end of the day you are still stuck with samples that decay too quickly and sound unnatural. The Zoom MRS1044 multitrack recorder I use has a drum machine built into it and the cymbals are way better. My next recording I do will be with the drums from the HR-16 and the cymbals from the Zoom.

I also have an SR-16 here. Use it only for songwriting when I have an idea and are in the need for an instant drummer that doesnt ask too many questions. I mainly use the cymbals from a Korg Trinity, but is looking forward to get BFD. Dont know if I can use a single cymbal from BFD though, but hopefully I can.
So for the SR-16, put each cymbals on a separate midi track, solo it,audio mixdown and then import it. At least that gives you the option to compress, EQ or plug it. But I guess you already knew.

In general the SR16 is what it is--a low cost drum machine that is about 12 years out of date. Don't expect any real fidelity. If you want to sound decent Native Instrument's Battery is excellent sounding... I want to get that myself to replace my aging Roland R8.

EdWonbass said:
At the end of the day you are still stuck with samples that decay too quickly and sound unnatural.
Would a gain controling amplifier or expander help you with this decay problem or just make it sound more unnatural?

I run just about everything that comes out of mine through a pitch shifter. A little bit up and a little bit down. Depends on the tune. Can make a huge difference. Although my stuff is not that drum intensive.

I too have an SR-16, and I think the best think I found is to record it using MIDI and changing out the cymbals, triggering a "real" cymbal from a sample library.

Back