Alesis MULTIMIX 8 USB FX 8 Channel Mixer

mrmatt

Hi guys,

I've seen this for around £120 new and includes Cubase LE4. Quite keen on getting one for connecting up to my Mac for some easy recording/mixing etc.

I understand there is a newer version with USB 2.0 but this is an extra £130.

Would it be worth getting the older version, or should I push for the newer USB 2.0. Will I notice a massive difference. alternatively, what USB mixers are around the Multimix USB price of £120?

Personally, I would highly recommend firewire, since with USB 1)It only allows 2 stereo tracks that are edit-able in the DAW and 2)Transfer speed is not as quick.

As Ninja_Drummer mentioned the USB 1.0 unit only allows a 2 channel stereo mix to be recorded.
I wouldn't imagine there would be a audible difference between the two units, but carefully read
the product description of any interface to make sure it supports the number of channels you are expecting.

As Ninja_Drummer mentioned the USB 1.0 unit only allows a 2 channel stereo mix to be recorded.
I wouldn't imagine there would be a audible difference between the two units, but carefully read
the product description of any interface to make sure it supports the number of channels you are expecting.

I'm looking at this as some way to lay down ideas track by track.The way I envisage using such a mixer, with the bundled Cubase LE4 would be to record a rhythm track, probably using a VST drum machine, or importing drum loops created elsewhere. Then laying down, for example, a bass line (i.e. synth or electric bass). Then keys, then vocals. I don't think I'd need to be able to record multiple instruments simultaneously. So as well as being able to record direct to my laptop, I'd also be using the mixer for hooking up various sound sources for ease of practising. For example

Channel 1 - Guitar
Channel 2 - Vocals
Channel 3 & 4 - Use as paired channels for synth or Digital piano
Channel 5/6 - synth
Channel 7/8 - Digital piano (or turntables if channel 3&4 being used for piano)
2TR in - Turntables

I have a pair of active monitors which I'd send a monitor signal to.

Would this be a useable setup? I used to have a Digidesign MBox which had 2 inputs, so I had to keep plugging kit in and unplugging it. Very rarely used multiple tracks for recording.

Anything around the £100-200 mark that would enable multi-track recording?

Thinking about it, would it be more cost effective to buy a compact mixer that could then hook up to an audio interface with multiple inputs?

Probably not. A mixer with direct channel outs will be way out of your budget. I would suggest one of the Tascam interfaces myself. I have had nothing but good luck with mine. They all come with Cubase LE5. I think.

Last edited:
As mentioned try the Tascam US-800, I have one on order, so can't really say first hand how great it is, but from what I've read it sounds pretty good, and you can't beat it for the price! $169 and it has 6XLR inputs and USB 2.0.

As mentioned try the Tascam US-800, I have one on order, so can't really say first hand how great it is, but from what I've read it sounds pretty good, and you can't beat it for the price! $169 and it has 6XLR inputs and USB 2.0.

I had a look at the US800 and they look great, but not exactly what I'm after for my needs. Basically I'm a guitarist/DJ/keyboard player. In the room at home I use for this I have a couple of keyboards setup, my guitars to hand, mics, turntables. I then have a pair of active monitors. Obviously, I have the single inputs on the monitors, so first and foremost I'd like a mixer to pull all these together into one mixer that feeds the monitors. so when I want to practice (without booting my Mac to record), I want to be able to turn my instruments, mixer and speakers on and fade up whichever channel I want to jam through - i.e. channel 1 guitar. In addition to this, having come up with any ideas I'd like a way of transferring the audio signal from my mixer to my Macbook, which is where this Alesis seemed a possibility.

Gotcha man. I think you may be on track then with the Multimix. Just keep in mind for the future that you will be limited to the two recording tracks by the USB1 model. I myself found that I threw away money purchasing a two channel Lexicon Alpha that I outgrew quickly. I have found it best to hold out a bit for more flexibility for the future. Hell, I should stick my foot in my mouth as I am limited to 16 tracks now by my interface and will have to upgrade myself soon. You could also get yourself a multi input interface as well as a mixer to increase your flexibility. Or add a monitor controller to consolidate your multiple outputs into multiple monitors. Yep, a money pit there. lol. Just throwing out options man. I believe 'arcadeko' ( a member here) uses a Multimix 8 USB2 on a daily basis. Maybe PM him and get more specific details pertaining to your needs. He's a very cool and helpful dood.

This type of mixer is exactly what you need!
I got a Mackie Pro FX12 for the same purpose - I got tired of plugging/unplugging instruments all the time. Like you, I only need to record 2 tracks at one time, so the USB stereo out is fine.
I've got stereo keyboard, stereo Guitarport, stereo Spider iv amp line out and stereo Boss BR600 outputs into the mixer's 4 stereo input channels, 4 more mono channels for mics (channel 1 also for DI acoustic guitar).
I have the mixer's main stereo output to my active monitors, still have the monitor output available if needed (pre or post fader) and a separate control for headphone volume.

Since you're only using the mixer as a routing device and only need 2 tracks at a time, I'd say it's an entirely workable solution. The extra speed of USB2 and the ability to feed multiple discrete tracks doesn't sound like it would be very important to you.

Some years back I used to use an old analogue mixer in a similar capacity--except in my case it was multiple CD and Mini disk players with sound effects on them.

I'd say you'd lose nothing by going for it.

Bob

Since you're only using the mixer as a routing device and only need 2 tracks at a time, I'd say it's an entirely workable solution. The extra speed of USB2 and the ability to feed multiple discrete tracks doesn't sound like it would be very important to you.

Some years back I used to use an old analogue mixer in a similar capacity--except in my case it was multiple CD and Mini disk players with sound effects on them.

I'd say you'd lose nothing by going for it.

Bob

Is it possible to pan the stereo signal from the mixer to the Mac, hard left and hard right, set up two mono tracks in the software and record instruments that way as well? I'm keen on the Alesis because of the bundled Cubase software, but also the Allen & Heath Zed 10 looks a nice option if I was to pick up some software separately.

Is it possible to pan the stereo signal from the mixer to the Mac, hard left and hard right, set up two mono tracks in the software and record instruments that way as well? I'm keen on the Alesis because of the bundled Cubase software, but also the Allen & Heath Zed 10 looks a nice option if I was to pick up some software separately.

Panning hard L and R is exactly the way to get two mono channels...you do that even with high end boards and it works fine.

If the A&H Zed is an option for you, the mic pre amps are WAY nicer sounding than the Alesis, all else being equal so that's something to consider.

Bob

Panning hard L and R is exactly the way to get two mono channels...you do that even with high end boards and it works fine.

If the A&H Zed is an option for you, the mic pre amps are WAY nicer sounding than the Alesis, all else being equal so that's something to consider.

Bob

Allen & Heath it will probably be then. The Zed-10 without FX is around £160. Buying the FX version will set me back about another £50-60, so what benefits would the FX have and could this be achieved through a separate effects processor?

Well, personally I'm a fan of using "in the box" effects in my mixes and wouldn't spend a lot to get them in a mixer. However, there are a couple of areas where they can come into their own.

First, some vocalists like to have a bit of reverb on their monitor feed (whereas I always track dry and add effects later). Having a mixer with built in effects can allow you to do this if you can get the routing right. (I stress that I haven't checked if this is an option on the Zed10. It is on bigger A&H consoles.)

Second, if there's ever a chance you might want to use the mixer in a live situation (even just to entertain at somebody's birthday party or something) then the built in effects can come into their own.

As for mixer effects vs. separate boxes, the mixer doesn't offer anything you can't achieve with outboard gear, other than the convenience of not having an extra rack and cabling. Outboard offers more flexibility but at a price.

Well, personally I'm a fan of using "in the box" effects in my mixes and wouldn't spend a lot to get them in a mixer. However, there are a couple of areas where they can come into their own.

First, some vocalists like to have a bit of reverb on their monitor feed (whereas I always track dry and add effects later). Having a mixer with built in effects can allow you to do this if you can get the routing right. (I stress that I haven't checked if this is an option on the Zed10. It is on bigger A&H consoles.)

Second, if there's ever a chance you might want to use the mixer in a live situation (even just to entertain at somebody's birthday party or something) then the built in effects can come into their own.

As for mixer effects vs. separate boxes, the mixer doesn't offer anything you can't achieve with outboard gear, other than the convenience of not having an extra rack and cabling. Outboard offers more flexibility but at a price.

As you say, the effects would come into their own in a live situation. Probably not something I'd use the mixer for, so not something I'd want to pay extra for as a 'just in case' element. With this mixer hooked up to my MacBook, would I be able to hear the software effects from say Logic as I record as a monitor mix? If that's the case then great. I have a Behringer rack compressor that I'll use with the mixer and then further down the line if I really need to, I might look into rack effects. Plenty on eBay.

Back