Alesis Masterlink for live stereo recording?

oboe_prestini

Greetings from Belgium. Has anybody experience with an Alesis Masterlink for live recording? There is a very brief testimony on the Alesis site, but in general little info can be found on the web.
I would like to live record classical chamber music, and am thinking about a simple set up of stereo miking (ORTF) with condensor mics and a Masterlink. Has this machine phantom power? If not, I suppose a mixer is needed, which would come in handy if I ebentually would use more than two mics. Has Alesis good mixer equipment for say 4 or 6 mics?
Many thanks for sharing your advice and experience.

You will need a mic preamp to record like you want to or a mixer as you suggested. I have a masterlink and use it all the time but have never used it for live recordings. Maybe someone else will chime in who has. With that said i've used 2 different models of Alesis mixer and they both had alot of cross talk. I doubt this is something you will want on a classical recording. You might look into the cheaper Soundcraft or newer Yamahas if your budget is tight. Im sure someone can make some better suggestions in the "Other Equipment" forum.

I have used the masterlink for live recording. I produced a CD that way. Here is what you need to know. There are no mic inputs on the masterlink. It just accepts two-channel analog or digital. So your mics need to at least go to a preamp, or better yet, a mixer that will allow you to mix your mics, pan them, and send out a two channel signal. If your mics need phantom power, they will need to get it from the mixer or from separate phantom power boxes. The masterlink provides no phantom power. The masterlink is a great tool in my opinion.

Al

Live on masterlink

I've recorded live on the masterlink coming through my Mackie 1202. Sounds good to me. Of course, you've got to get the mix right going in, but maybe thats better than fussing with it after.

maybe thats better than fussing with it after.[/QUOTE]

I Think so. It gives it that "live" sound you don't get by multi-tracking. Al

I'm strongly considering a Masterlink for demos and practice recordings in my music room. If I understand the unit right, I would record directly to the HD, then edit out whatever I didn't want, then burn to CD. Is this simple enough to do 3 or 4 times a week, or is it hard to do the editing correctly on the small little screen on the ML?

By way of comparison, right now I use a MOTU 1224/DP4 setup on my Mac for "serious" recordings, but for quick and easy practice type stuff, I like the simplicity of working with my Sony MD deck - the editing is quick, easy, and very intuitive. Is the Masterlink interface similarly intuitive?

Chris F said:
Is the Masterlink interface similarly intuitive?

Yes.

I am now adding extra un-needed words to satisfy this web site's requirement of at least ten letters in this field. But my answer remains just yes.

Al

I have had the ML for going on three years. When it was still selling for 20% off of retail, I paid $700 for it at a small shop in Iowa. I was touring at the time, and always hit the mom and pops in out of the way places, because they have to buy so many units to get the line, and are more likely to deal.

Anyway, I have the modified/upgraded drive with the current OS. It has been flawless as a stereo recorder and a master recorder for lower budget deals.

The hard drive creates a bit of a whirl, so you might put it in a case and isolate it as much as possible when recording in extremely quiet rooms.

The editing is kind of basic. You can crop sections, adjust the space between songs on a list, combine lists, etc. I would not rely soley on the mastering tools inside for a major production. Plugs and/or hardware will always be better.

There is nothing else like it, unless you want to carry a laptop, interface, etc.

Back